Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Lightfast ink

Has anyone used the lightfast inks?. Does it work? Using normal ink I am noticing fading after about 5 months, even when behind glass. I am using an Epson 680 with compatable or genuine inks on 260gm glossy paper. Results are excellent, but not for long. I am considering buying a new one which uses the new inks, but is it worth it?
PHILLIPYT555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2002, 3:36 PM   #2

I found the ink problem out by accident when I left a print near a sunny window. I'm moving to more stable ink. There are 2 sorts I know of. Archival inks 75 years plus - but they have a different colour Gamut for stability, and Fotonic ink good for 25 years but matched to original ink colour. I'll probably try the Fotonic inks.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:49 AM   #3

Epson now make "Pigment " Inks but they are not available for my printer. I dont want to invest in another Printer until I hear from someone who has used them.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 9:18 AM   #4

it is regretful that they marry the printer to the ink.

the improvements in the inks plus 6 color vs 4 color
improvements in print speeds and color accuracy. usb, firewire connection support and the pricing for the printers makes the jump worth it today. it seems that there are 2 major players eyeing our $
canon
epson

when looking at any printer remember that the cost of the printer is in reality a small part of the overall price you pay. look at the ink price thats their profit margin. i have already spent possibly 10x the original cost of the printer in that consumable. also remember when a company says a cartridge will print say 400 pages that is generally based on 15% coverage of each page. photo take up a bit more, i generally cut that amount by 80% for photos in the 8x10 range.

what i have found over the past months of looking around:

highest ink cost-Lexmark. but you can usually get one of their printers free with a new computer.

lowest ink cost- seems at the moment and varies with model is epson
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:00 AM   #5
NHL

sjms

What your cost/8x10? ... I'm in the market for a 13x19 printer. I currently have the EPX785, 1270, and HP Photosmarts (yes-even the older 6-color Moon & Star cartridges). The Photosmart (3-color) is the cheapest @ ~$0.60/8x10 (with high capacity HP cartridge from Costo) and that's what I used mostly.

It's pretty decent until I need more detail (or borderless) then I'll switch over to the Epsons (5-color). I believe the new Epsons 2200 has a photo black cartidge as well (but Costco don't carry Epson 5-color cartridges). What I've found is the Epson color cartrige is too small and keep running out after 25-30 8x10 making it more expensive to operate! Is it different with the new Epson that now have separate individual cartridges (but still with memory IC) or the Canon S9000 is a better choice?

BTW HP also have 6-color model now as well... (however its ink price is still unknown)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:26 PM   #6

The newest printer available here is "Epson950" It boasts the highest resolution yet and individual "Pigment " Inks. At a cost of 380 is it worth the price. I still hav'nt heard from anyone who has used the "Pigment" Inks.