Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:36 AM   #1

Howdy,

I just got a Fuji A340 as a gift and I'm new to digital cameras, so please bear with me.

I notice in Fuji's manual that they say the xD card will not last forever and will eventually stop working.

When at the local Staples, I noticed that regular picture cards generally had warranties of 5 years and xD cards, from the same manufacturer, only had warranites of 1 year.

Does anyone know the average lifespan of an xD card?

I only got a 16MB card with my camera and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to go with a 512/256/128 or stick with something lower like 64/32/16.

Swapping cards is not a huge concern for me but shelling out $100 or so and having the card konk out a year or two later is <:

Any help would be appreciated,

Dallas

D Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:55 AM   #2

I can't answer your question, but if you go to outpost.com you'll find olympus 512mb xd for $79.

i also have a fuji and quite enjoyed thier comment as well.

there will be a 1meg card coming soon, so i would buy as little as you need and wait the falling prices.

Shawn

shawnzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:23 PM   #3

D Parker wrote:
Quote:
I notice in Fuji's manual that they say the xD card will not last forever and will eventually stop working.

When at the local Staples, I noticed that regular picture cards generally had warranties of 5 years and xD cards, from the same manufacturer, only had warranites of 1 year.

Does anyone know the average lifespan of an xD card?
What's your personal warranty, how long will you live?

xD cards are just like the other cards, it will last for many years and in most cases something new will come along to replace it long before it dies...it's not like a hard drive with moving parts.

Problems with memory cards are usually caused by user error, and not by manufacturing defects...these wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway, like corrupting a card, sending a static charge through it, or otherwise abusing it.

When it comes to life's problems, how long a memory card will last doesn't even enter my thoughts.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:05 PM   #4

Mikefellh has a point.

All of the current flash media is very stable. There are dozens of accounts of them being run through the wash stuffed in shirt or pants pockets.
As long as the contacts aren't corrupted (clean gently with soft eraser) or the card hasn't been forced in the camera the wrong way you should be OK.

I have CF cards I have been using for over 5 years in several different cameras and they just keep chugging along.

buy a couple different ones - and at least 256k (512k is better yet).
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:55 AM   #5

Seems no one knows.

I will simply ask Fuji - I am sure they have tested them and know what the average lifespan is. Although, I have my doubts they'll tell me.

Now that I've found some cheap cards on eBay cost is not such an issue but I'm just curious now...
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:02 PM   #6

Another thing, xD is a relatively new card format, whereas CF has been around for years...since CF has proven itself over many years some manufacturers can offer a 5 year warranty.

As I said, xD probably will have just as long a lifespan as CF cards, it just hasn't proven itself yet. Now go out and take some pictures, and stop worrying about things that don't deserve worrying about. It's like the following:

There are only 2 thing to worry about in life- either you are healthy, or you are sick. If you are healthy you have nothing to worry about, but if you are sick you have 2 things to worry about:either you'll get better, or you'll die. If you get better you have nothing to worry about, but if you die you have 2 things to worry about: either you will go to heaven, or you will go to hell. If you go to heaven you have nothing to worry about, BUT if you go to hell you'll be so damn busy shaking hands with your friends, you won't have time to worry so why worry!

Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:06 PM   #7

Not worried, just curious.

In the immortal words of Paul Simon, "I'll never worry, why should I, it's all gonna fade."
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:17 PM   #8

Or...sell your current dig cam on Ebay...

After you buy a prosumer dig cam with Compact Flash.

Personally, I am very underwhelmed by xD media.

I swap CF in/out all the time with no prob.

xD media is not so easy to swap in/out imho.

Personally, ideally, every consumer dig cam should have an 8-in-1 reader built in.

Let the consumer choose the media!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:40 AM   #9

Read the reply from "segbert" in:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...03&forum_id=52

"assuming 10k cycles, you could erase your card once a day and it should last for 27 years."
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:44 AM   #10
NHL

D Parker wrote:
Quote:
Seems no one knows.

I will simply ask Fuji - I am sure they have tested them and know what the average lifespan is. Although, I have my doubts they'll tell me.
This document is from the largest manufacturer of NAND flash, the type used in all flash cards: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...o/app_nand.pdf

The endurance data you're looking for is on page 10-11. Erase/program cycles are what degrade a flash and they vary in actual use. 1E6 is deceptive because unlike regular memory, old data must be erased first with flash before new data can be written -> every time a picture is taken there's must be a previous erase cycle. The file allocation table (FAT-16/32) is also constantly updated with each picture (ie erase/program again) so this area will wear out first, hence the need for a 'wear leveling' algorithm as described on page 11...
Bottom line... No one can tell you the lifespan of a card because it depends on how often you use it :idea:

BTW don't overlook the Error Correction (page 6) either which runs in the background and detects for bad blocks. This algorithm switch theses blocks out permanently with good blocks -> This is the main reason why when you format a flash card you end up with less room than what a card is really capable of storing. This because the good blocks are held in reserve so the manufacturer can prolong the life of theses cards. Just check it when you format a flash card -> you don't get what's written on the card (unlike a microdrive), and eventually they'll show less still!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote