Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:11 PM   #1

I notice that one can buy some of the digital cameras at an online store cheaper that the local Circuit Citys, Bestbuys, etc, sometimes at a large discount. How reliable are these stores (Most located in NYC). I have read numerous reviews posted from buyers of these online stores and many are quite good but others are not. I am real leary of getting a refurbished camera and not being able to return it. Should one just pay the extra money at the local store where you can see the actual product and review it in person and possibly have peace of mind or take a chance and buy on online at a consideralbe discount.

wfshaw
wfshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:36 PM   #2

This is a question this is asked often. The answer is:
not very reliable.

search the forum for this string:
resellerratings

and you should see this question asked often and in almost every case the company is not worthy of your money. There are a variety of scams out there, everywhere from faking that there were credit card problems just to power-sell you on over priced itemson the phone... to them refusing to sell you the item if you don't buy those over priced items (claiming its out of stock.) And then you get the stores that will sell you the camera without anything else. no battery, no cables, no nothing. All those things which should have come with the camera are "Extra". So the "Deal" isn't a deal after all.

They couldn't make money if they actually sold the cameras at those prices.

If the difference isn't much, support your local store.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:36 AM   #3

Also read the following article:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,107855,00.asp
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:28 AM   #4

The article is very good and worth a read. However I must respectfully disagree with Eric on the matter of on-line etailers. There are certainly bad ones and that is where research on these forums, resellerrating, pricegrabber, etc. come into play. Do a search here and you will find that there are many people who have POSITIVE experiences with on-line etailers. As for why many of them can make money, it's simple: Many do not have the retail store front to maintain. Retail space is extremely costly. Warehouse and office space is much less costly. Definitely do your research and make sure you buying from a reputable company - and yes they do exist on the internet. I have very positive experiences with several of them. They won't have the professionals to help you make a decision - you need to know what you want first. But I will agree there is some risk - if piece of mind is more important, then by all means shop from a store front.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:08 AM   #5

Thanks much for you help folks. Yesterday was my first post on this forumand the responses are very much appreciated. Based on them I believe I will spend a little more money and shop at my local stores. I just do not have the time to research all the internet stores.

Thanks again,

Bill
wfshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:29 AM   #6

It sounded like wfshaw was huting by lowest price. If you look that way for a store, you almost always hit scams. Actually, I would go so far as to say that if you do that on certain items you will always hit scam stores first.

Also, just as Nigeria is getting a bad name for their 419 scams, NYC (And in particular Manhatan) is getting a bad name because that seems to be where the majority of the really bad on-line resellers are located. Since he specifically mentioned NYC it again sounded like he was going by the lowest price.

This is the angle my comments were coming from.

I've purchased some items online (everything for my last computer and more) and because I did the research and picked a good reliable place (with the help of reseller ratings) I had a very good experience.

It can happen. But you have to engage you brain and not just low-ball the price.

And they make their money not only by not having retail store front but many don't even have warehouses. They direct dropship from a middleman and never touch the inventory.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:01 PM   #7

sounds like we're pretty much in agreement - online stores are a valid option only if you want to invest time in researching them. The important thing is you have to feel comfortable with whoever you're doing business with - especially when your spending hundreds, or thousands of dollars :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 8:49 PM   #8

I bought a Kodax DX7590 just last week from a NYC store. It has been in Manhattan for over 100 years and online for several. I bought online and it was a great experience. I did my homework first though. I started looking for the cheapest but wound up paying a few bucks more.

I think the motto, Buyer Beware, is still very important. But good deals are to be had online, if you look and research.

MikeS.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote