Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:38 PM   #1
ras

Default virus???

:?
hi again.... can these digcam and memory card like compact flash,secure digital get virus while connected to the computer via usb? or should i purchase a usb reader? or can a memory card carry virus after using the reader to the digicam?

thankz...
ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Administrator

I guess that anything is possible when it comes to files and computer viruses although I have yet to have heard of anyone's flash memory card being corrupted by one. Whether you use a card reader or plug your camera in to the USB port it gets treated like a removable drive. Lets hope that no one -does- figure out a way to do this or infect JPEG files, God forbid ...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:16 AM   #3

A Flash card is just like any other storage device. The Cam won't put a virus on it, but it's conceivable some file (other than a .jpg or wav) might get transferred across from a pc and get passed to the card, and then other pc's the card is put into.

I'm sure a pc's AV software should work with the reader if it's told the drive exists. For paranoid security, format a new card in the cam and use the write protect on flash before putting the card in a pc reader or downloading from cam via USB. But you'd then have to delete files afterwards in the cam, with the protection off.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 3:23 PM   #4

JPG extension have been attacked by virus programs. The most famous of these viruses was the "I Love You" virus strain. In general, the virus changed the extensions of JPG files to another extension. The virus then would write malicious code to the register. Digital cameras do not have a register and if the extension on the memory card was changed, the smart media would have to be reformatted. Virus protection is must in todays email and internet world. The biggest problem with virus programs is that people do not keep their virus definitions up todate. There are hundreds of new viruses release each week. I can not find any data where a virus has damaged a digital camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 5:27 PM   #5

gibsonpd3620... agreed, but when .jpg files are in the pc, they are vulnerable to viruses like any other file and as you say, keeping AV software up to date is important.

What I am suggesting, is if cam owners are really worried about viruses getting on to flash, that provided they only read from flash and use the write protect options, they have a good chance of keeping it clean.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:57 AM   #6

voxmagna has a great point. This will protect the virus from being written to the card.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote