Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:22 PM   #1

In recent weeks I went from just my C5050 (with tube and UV flter) + 4 spare batteries and a lens cloth to that plus an external flash + module, a TCON,a WCON, and3 more sets batteries on the way. This does't count my maha charger.

My lenses came with soft leather cases and the flash has bubble wrap. Do you keep this stuff in their original boxes with these protections? Or do you keep them in a carrying case only? Do you put the lenses in your carrying case within their leather cases or without for quicker access?

I store my camera in a niceTascam. I am wondering when I get my bigger carrying case to accomodate all this, do I consider that how my gear travels or where it lives?

Thanks for any advice.
cram33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:32 AM   #2

However you decide to store your gear, if you leave your gear in a case, may I suggest investing in some sillica packs to keep your equipment dry and free of mold? I've seen what mold does to lenses that are left in humid places for extended periods (months or years), and it's not pretty
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3

I store all my direct camera gear in lowepro bags, ready to go at a moments notice. Then I can just pick them up and leave.

I store the extras (MaHa charger and such) in my old camera bag. Fits well.

If the lens came with a bag, I keep it in the bag (but still in the lowepro bag.)

I don't do what marokero suggested, but I should. I'm not in a very humid place, but why risk it? And if I went on vacation to somewhere that was I'd already be ready.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

I keep my stuff in baskets on my bookshelf, so I can sort through and grab what I need only when I need it. To me it's better than keeping everything in a single bag.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5

On the subject of storing equipment, does anyone thing that storing a camera (Oly E-20) with the lens pointing down is a bad idea? I needed to make more use of the vertical space in my bag.
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6

I learned last summer form the humidity. I am from the NW and never have to worry too much about it. So the wife and I went on a Caribbean cruise. The ship was nice and cool from the AC. Once I stepped foot off of the ship into port in Mexico, instant wall of humidity. I didn't think anything of it til I took out my G3 and the inside of the lens was all fogged over. I had to wait a couple hours for it to clear itself up.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:01 PM   #7

RyanH, in that case it would be better to keep the camera inside a ziplock bag for a few minutes until the camera warmed up to ambient temperature so no condensation occurs once you take the camera out of the bag.

Pekkle, as for keeping the lens pointing down, it's no problem, but I would not leave the camera at the bottom of the bag, as frequently putting the bag down on the floor could increase the risk of damage, even with all the nice padding inside the bag. Better to leave it on a higher section of your bag. Or if you can, make a sort of supporting "sock" for the lens. I made one out of pliable foam sheets (you know, the kind some manufacturers wrap electronic equipment in prior to packaging), then duct taped the whole thing. It looks like a cup around my 50mm lens
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:25 PM   #8

For long term storage and travel I store in pelican cases. otherwise just leave in its bag or oncamera shelves(started life as a book shelf)

Just have to watch the cat. :G
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote