Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:40 PM   #1

Hi,

has anyone bought/used Adobe Elements 3 yet? I'm thinking of getting it and just wanted some input.

Thanks,

PatoG :-D
PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:32 AM   #2

What you should do is try the demo version yourself and see if you like it the way it operates compared to the way you do. Adobe has demo versions of Elements 2 online (over 100meg download, but it would save you money if you didn't like it):

Windows (111meg):
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp?ftpID=1915

Mac (188meg):
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp?ftpID=1914
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:36 AM   #3

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for a prompt answer and advice. I will, for sure go to those sites and get the demos!

best,

PatoG:-)

Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:00 AM   #4

Should also add that most other editing programs also have demos online...just type the name of the program into Google.com and the word DEMO to find them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:37 PM   #5

The interesting thing to me is that PS Elements 3 reportedly has many of the Photoshop Album features included, e.g. slide shows, etc. Amazon has a (non-upgrade) rebate available for a few more days, I think, but I've seen PS Elements 2 very cheap at Sam's Wholesale Club (<$60, no mail-in required), so it may be worth waiting to see if Elements 3 is the same story.
:-D
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:00 PM   #6

Hi Steve,

Ya, I've been thinking that I should at least wait until there's a place on the web that has a user review.

In the meantime I'll give a lot of thought to grabbing that $60 bux price at Sam's. I guess the point is, maybe there haven't been that many new features added to 'v. 3'.

Logically, I bet they're waiting on the in depth reviews until they sell out some more of version 2.

.....got confusion?.... :?

Thanks Steve

Pato G

ps: to everyone, I live on the West Coast. Tonight we've been blessed with a clear night. Hope take a try at some shots of the eclipse!!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:00 PM   #7

Pato -

You're certainly welcome. I like Adobe products, but their marketing drives me nuts. I can't even run the latest Photoshop (version CS, requires Win XP, not Win2000 Pro - which, BTW, ain't broke). When it first came out, Adobe had a HUGE travelling rollout party. I was asking a local reseller friend about a Win2000 version, the Adobe guy interrupted and said, "You need to get XP". I smell Microsoft in this case, Watson. :evil:

My rant aside, I am hopeful that PS Elements 3 will be a good product.

- Steve K (still happily using Photoshop 5 on Win2000 Pro)
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:28 AM   #8

I've had Elements 3 for a few days, and here's my scoop:

Elements 1 and 2 had an interface that looked a good bit like Photoshop (full version) and only a few of the highest end features were left out. Version 3 tend to "fluff it up" a bit - it has a more (dare I say this) "amateurish" look and feel to it, now. This is not at all a bad thing if you are new to image enhancement, but a friend of mine who came over and checked it out said it looked vaguely like a Kodak picture maker software type of software.

There are "projects" included with 3.0, which again, home users may enjoy but more advanced users may have no need for. There is as someone else mentioned, the album software included in this version too - but by now experienced users already have their own methods of storing pics be it 3rd party software or simply designated folders on their systems. The file browser and effects still take longer to load up than in Paint Shop Pro. Version 2 is $52.00 at Sam's where you can still find it - it usually takes a while before new versions hit Sam's or Costco if they get it.

For those who don't need the fluff, after using both I personally think Paint Shop Pro version 9 is a better program. The new quicker access to correction tools which correct lens distortions, noise, and purple fringing issues, are very useful in PSP9. You can do these things in any editor, but it takes time. PSP9 simplifies them and gives a simplified screen as opposed to Elements 3.0... it also loads up effects and image thumbnails quicker.

So it depends on what level you're at, and what you want to do. If you like the idea of projects and image storage/filing, Elements 3 is more likely the way to do. If you want a semi-pro application that grows with you but doesn't have the extras, Paint Shop Pro 9 is the way to go.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:09 AM   #9

Hey Greg,

Thanks so much for your insight and suggestions. I believe I'll give it some more time before making a 'rash' decision.

I've always assumed that PSPro would be out of my depth and a tad bit intimidating, but I guess I should try out a demo of it. I'm way past the amateur stage but far from being close to a pro!

Anyway, thanks again. Yours is the kind of input I've been waiting for.

cheers!

PatoG

Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:49 AM   #10

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
[b]I've had Elements 3 for a few days, and here's my scoop ...
Thanks for the early review. I did see PS elements 3 for sale at Walmart, $80 I think, and I recall it does support Win2000 Pro (in addition to XP), unlike Photoshop CS. But I think I'll just stick with Photoshop 5 and Win2000 Pro ...
8)