Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2002, 3:03 PM   #11

hogie46... When gerhard59 susses it, we'll make it simple, just got to get through the pc geek stuff first!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 3:16 PM   #12

Hi Hogie / Voxmagna,
That's absolutely right, but first the solution. Still looking for the latest info on RIFF/WAVE file formats. I did find some stuff on the web but most of it is older than what I got.
One of the chuncks is called FACT and that's the hard one to find the right info.
Will be cont'd

Gerhard
gerhard59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:58 AM   #13

Hi, I am still puzzled about the fact chunk. I did some new experiments.
Took a picture saved to HDD.
added sound to it saved it.
removed sound and recorded new sound, saved it.
repeated last step.
Now I have 3 pics with different sound recordings.
Compared files and found the differences.
The RIFF info is not correspondign with my findings, so I assume the fact chunk contains some important information about file or samples sizes. The values in the fact chunk however do not correspond with the differences I have found.
To be cont'd
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:02 AM   #14

Just a thought, but don't suppose you've tried emailing Pentax for some info on the file format? If you make the questions V.Geeky and you're lucky, they might pass it on to a 'spert!

In case there's filesize and checksums, don't truncate the files.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:41 PM   #15

Tried several locations of pentax techsupport. last one is pentax usa just posted tonight. found some more interesting EXIF / RIFF info on the web looking into it this weekend, about 400 pages. hope i get some answers from pentax, btw good idea making questions geeky.
there's filesizes in the headers but no checksums.
biggest problem is specific info on the fact chunk in combination with the IMA ADPCM wave format. the books say the 32bit word contains the number of samples, but in all cases it's much bigger than the total file size. i know data compression is used with IMA ADPCM algoritm. I managed to extract the .wav data but playback turns crazy after about 10 secs.
more on tuesday.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:52 PM   #16

Hi, on my search for more info on sound in .JPG files I found a proggie that does the job perfectly. It's called soundpix and it can be found at www.soundpix.com. You can download a demo version which I did and guess what happened after loading my first picture the proggie created a temp file which contained the sound. Just renamed the file and had the sound extracted from the .JPG file.
After this the sound is still embedded in the .JPG but that's not the problem.
They also offer a browser plug-in so you can listen to the sound when viewed in Internet Explod(r)er. Btw. I am still going to figure out how they do this stuff, probably find some stuff in the proggie or plug-in.
Did discover that the sound is not a complete sequence of bits but every now and then it skips 16bytes. The search continues.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:00 PM   #17

Hey
I got the HP 735 and i can also recorde sound over pics.
And i got the same problem: windows only see pics.

I found out that acdsee 5 can read the sound but i was wondering if anybody found a freeware that can extract the sound of several pics and put it in wav files.
I remember i found one for an HP model but it didnt work with mine.
Any clue?
Thanks
Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:09 AM   #18

Regarding the sound its all very easy. The EXIF standard defines sound attachment to a JPEG. All is stored in the APP sections (each have 64K max, so if the wav is longer, its splitted over several sections).

Nowadays, Cameras store it as a separate .wav while older models embed it in the JPEG (and make the JPEG much larger).

cPicture ( http://cpicture.de/en ) will read the sound chunk, play itand even allows you to email the sound attachment per EMail (right click on the thumbnail).
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote