Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1

What are the best file formats for posting photos directly to the forum? Is there a "prefered" method?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

I've always thought of JPG as the standard for uploading for online viewing. A Photoshop setting of around 7 ("high") seems to provide a balance between file size and high resolution ... a 640x480x72dpi image might be around 160k +/-. Not too long a download for even dialup.

Of course, animated gif's are fun, as you might judge from my avatar ...
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:01 PM   #3

I just wondered if any one of the formats was any better than another. Has anyone ever been able to do a "copy and paste" with a photo? I also wish the Browse box foe attachments was larger so I could see the path. Am I right in think that as long as the file size is correct and the path is correct all you need to do is highlight the browse box and hit enter?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:26 PM   #4

I'm not sure I understand what environment you're talking about, but in general, I've had better luck saving an image to my hard disk, then loading it into whatever app I need. Example: My avatar (the breathing owl eyes) can be right clicked (in Windows) and "Save Image" used to put the gif into a temp directory. Then, say, in an email program, I can "Insert Image" into an email (using the email's 'browse' feature to locate the gif image).

Its been a while, but I think the cut/paste approach has problems with images on remote servers, i.e. the clipboard might use a location of an image rather than the actual file. So if, e.g., you're not online, it might not find the image. Or ... not? :?
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote