Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:06 PM   #1

my 1/2year old nikon 80-200mm f/2.8d has a very large amount of dust INSIDE the lens, on the inside elements, i havent really noticed it till about a month ago, but im starting to get worried, i realize that it cant be immaculate, but seeing the amount of dust, i dont know how the thing focuses, but it some how does, it is still under warranty, should i send it off to nps?

the thing has never been anywhere near an excessive amount of dust, or stored for any period over 3 days in the same spot, and i always use front and rear caps, and uv filter...

if you want, i'll post a picture...

Thanks,

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:01 PM   #2

i'm not sure how much help the National Parks Service will be...(nps)....LOL!

now, i dunno anything about dust in lenses...but i do think, if it's under warranty, and the problem is bad enough to warrant a trip to nikon, might as well send it now then later! (excuse the bad pun )

and....if you got photoshop, dust is easy to clone out...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3

vito, i was thinkin maybe the national park services could lend me a squirrel from one of their parks, and i could let him crawl in the lens, and pick the dust out...LOL

your right, i should send it to nikon, but the problem there is that id miss like a week of shooting sports...which would suck...but i could use a wide or semi tele, that would be fun

and although specs are easy to clone out, must of the time i shoot under f/4, so its not that big of a problem, but im afraid it maight be screwing with my focus, even if there were specs, for the pics for newspapers, your not allowed to spot edit...or allter a selected part of the photo, they tend to frown on that, and it's time consuming to edit say 200 photos from a game, and clone everyone....

Thanks for your relpy,

brad
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:24 PM   #4

oh, and nps stands for nikonprofessional services

www.nikonpro.com
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:25 PM   #5

oh, and nps stands for nikonprofessional services

www.nikonpro.com
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:32 PM   #6

that's wat actions are for

i guess it's different will dSLR's...but with my camera...you can't take a shot right out of the camera and put it on the cover of a newpaper...

you have to edit it...at least contrast and sharpening...

lol, another reason to get the rebel huh?

good point about the focusing...i dunno if it's something you have to worry about..but if it is..get it fixed now!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:52 PM   #7

yes vito, you will have to edit a little, for example, digital camera produse very flat looking images, on purpase, to give you more detail, and it is VERY normal to add like 10point saturation in photoshop, levels if needed, and if you shoot in a dark, yellow poor lite gym with no gray-card, then some color balence is in order

but it is preaty rare to get i photo straight out of camera to look good, you should at least add some saturation...

but, you arent allowed to select an area, then just edit that area, or clone anything out...

i think i will send it off, usually nps will send you a loaner, i will see if they will do that...so im not out a lens

Thanks for your time