Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2004, 3:37 AM   #1

The new Fuji S-5100 Slow Synch Flash Mode will not function in Manual or Shutter Priority Exposure modes. Slow Synch Flash will only work in Program and Aperture Priority (and 'Night Scene' and 'Portrait').

In other words, Slow Sych Flash will only work in the Exposure modes where one CANNOT set the shutter speed oneself.

If you're using Slow Synch Flash, don't you want to be in control of the shutter speed?

This is just one example of a very stupid limitation to a feature thatis found in some cameras. I only found this by reading through the Owner's Manual - otherwise, I would have been entirely unaware.

Imagine someone doing a decent research on this camera, and deciding to purchase it, and only discovering this flaw after purchase. Damn - I might have gone ahead and bought this camera - I was seriously considering it. Now that I've found this information about the Slow Synch Flash, though, I've crossed this camera off my list.

If you're interested in a camera, people, download the Owner's Manual, and read through it carefully. It'll take time, but it'll save you lots of trouble and regret - and maybe even money -in the end.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 8:16 AM   #2
NHL

Isn't that how any camera is supposed to work?

ie when you control the shutter speed (in Tv or manual) you control the exposure of the ambient light with a slower shutter speed and the flash fire normally which is what a 'Slow Flash Synch' fuction does
-> the functionality is still there !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 8:36 AM   #3

I have to agree with the original post...I much prefer having the slow sync flash available in Shutter priority and Manual modes. After all, "The slow synchronization flash is designed for slow shutter speeds." (from Olympus C-750 manual). How can you select a slow shutter speed in Aperture or Program modes?

With the Fuji, I couldn't have gotten this shot because I wouldn't have been able to select the two second exposoure and first curtain flash required for it (the second flash was fired manually by pressing the test button on a handheld flash):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...n/stapling.jpg
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:28 AM   #4
NHL

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
How can you select a slow shutter speed in Aperture or Program modes?
Exactly! and that's why they have the 'Slow Synch Flash Mode' in Av an Program mode. (otherwise the shutter will be stuck @ X-sync speed)

You don't need 'Slow Synch Flash Mode' in Tv and Manual because you control the slow shutter yourself! ie the flash just have to fire normally while the shutter can be set to 1/30s, 1/15s or even less for example (you are the 'Slow Synch Flash Mode')
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:19 AM   #5

I believe the Owner's Manuals refer to the built-in pop-up flash only, as any flash mounted on the hotshoe (if there is one) would be unknown.

Olympus has Slow Synch 1 (first curtain) and Slow Synch 2 (second curtain) modes on the C-740 and C-750. Both are available in Manual and Tv (as well as in Av and Program), because the low cutoff for regularflash use at widest angle is 1/30. Regular flash won't fire below 1/30. So this makes sense. The fact that they have both a front and rear curtain slow synch is a welcome bonus.

In the S-5100 Owner's Manual, Fuji does not list what the slowest shutter speed permissable with flashis - if any. If there is no low limit, then NHL is correct - although the flash would fire in the first curtain only, not the second, as with the Olympus cameras. If thereis a low limit on the shutter speed with flash, I assume Fuji would have listed it (I hope). I guess I'll test it in store to be sure.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:29 AM   #6
NHL

Regardless of features - IMO you should start by limiting your search to cameras which accept CF cards (and then sD) :?

Nothing wrong to stay @ the fringe of popularity with xD, but with Ultra fast 1G CF going around for $50 that's a pretty good incentive the next time you have to reload your camera, or be able to use the same film on your next camera...
-> going with xD only will force you by design to stay within the Oly and Fuji family
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:07 PM   #7

I would have likely bought a C-750 several months ago if it used CF - or even SD - cards. I don't really see the point of XD cards. Only Olympus and Fuji are using them... do we really need cards that are smaller? Are CF and SD cards just too big? It's ridiculous.

Funny thing - the 'Card Adapter DPC-CF' is listed as an optional accessory on the S-5100. I was wondering how they could convert a small XD slot to a larger CF slot inside of the camera - didn't seem to be possible. It turns out that the Card Adapter, of course, allows use of XD cards in cameras equipped with CF slots - and so it's entirely useless in the S-5100. But it's listed as an optional accessory, anyway. Nice.

Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:09 AM   #8

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
It turns out that the Card Adapter, of course, allows use of XD cards in cameras equipped with CF slots - and so it's entirely useless in the S-5100. But it's listed as an optional accessory, anyway. Nice.
Actually, it's meant so you can read xD cards on computers with CF slots.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:34 AM   #9

From a website selling the CF Adapter: "Great for adapting your XD cards in any device that is compatible with compact flash cards for reading and writing purposes."

Doesn't that mean that it'll work in cameras that have CF slots, too?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:26 AM   #10

Of course, but it's meant for use with PDAs and laptops with CF slots. Just like the floppy disk adapter was meant to read smartmedia cards in your PC and wasn't intended for use with the Mavica cameras.