Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:34 AM   #1

Is 150 dpi a low grade for printing out an A4 sized shot??? Ive set my printer to "best" quality yet the programme overides the printer and prints on auto at 150dpi. I cant say that the photo looks too bad but Im unsure what dpi "best" is.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2

Hi Julie,
DPI is a confusing thing :-) Basically though it is only dependent on the resolution of the image and the size of the print. The only other two factors are viewing distance, and the printer quality. 150 is a bit low for any print, though if viewed from far enough a way it isn't noticeable. you may like me be putting your nose on the print the way all camera geeks inevitable do.:-)
It maybe that there are insufficient pixels to cover the A4 paper, or that the printer will not do 180dpi.
Here is a link to a prior post of mine about dpi and such.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...52&forum_id=37

cheers
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:49 PM   #4

Correct me if I'm wrong here....

It sounds like your question has more to do with the interaction between your software and printer. Are you saying that you set the quality on the printer to "best" and then it turns out not to print that way? That seems really odd to me. You should check your manual. It is possible that sending the picture at too low a DPI might cause this problem, it sounds odd to me.

I have very little printer experience, but still... what printer and software are you using? Someone might use the same combination and know something.

I know that I normally print 8x10 (on 8 1/2x11 paper) at around 250-280 DPI and the results are great. What DPI is necessary to make a good print is not only printer and viewing distance specific it's also subject specific. People's brains will fill in details on things that they know... like faces. You know what a nose generally looks like, so if there is some missing detail it doesn't bother you much because you can "fill it in" mentally.

Sure, if you look for the detail you'll see its missing but if you look at the picture you might not.

On the other hand, a landscape needs all the detail it can get.

eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:49 PM   #5

<<<<<<It sounds like your question has more to do with the interaction between your software and printer. Are you saying that you set the quality on the printer to "best" and then it turns out not to print that way?>>>>>

Yes, the printer is a HP photo-smart 7660 (the software that came with is not very flexible) and the print programme is photo album from the photo-shop series. Ive used "pics print" successfully but a grid comes up over the printed picture even though the programme is registered.:roll: