Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:35 PM   #1

:roll:I am thinking of buying an wide angle converter for my Canon S1 IS, I notice all Canon has an stitch feature, would it be better stitch 2 pictures instead of taking with an wide angle converter? what's your opinion?
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:22 AM   #2

It depends on what you're shooting...if you're shooting a landscape where nothing is moving then you can do a panorama but unless you take the time to take two rows of shots you're only widening in one direction whereas the lens can widen in two directions at once.

If you have a scene where people are moving then stitching wouldn't work (you might take a shot where you have the same person in two or more shots.

I've used both techniques depending on the situation.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:41 AM   #3

:idea:You have help me make up my decision, I will go buy a wide angle converter to-morrow. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:29 PM   #4

What aspect ratio, field of view, and use are you trying for? Something like a 15mm (equiv) lens? A 2:5 aspect retio? (My favorite for easy greeting cards.) Is this to make large prints or to put images on the web?

The simple answer to your question is that you will want both if you are into wide angle and can never get enough. Even an 8mm fisheye only gives about a 180 degree field of view: if you want a full 360x180 you will need to stitch.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:19 PM   #5

The Canon manual says that the stitch software might not work if you use extra lenses. I'm not sure how true this is but you should be able to use any images if you put some effort into it, and use perhaps better panorama software or something... I'm just a newbie so I'm not really sure how much any of this matters...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:53 PM   #6

:?My intention is either use the wide angle converter or the stitch program. It was not my intention to use both at the same time. I agree with Mikefellh as the function and usage of the wide angle converter and stitch program. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:44 AM   #7

I'd guess the issue with the sitching software is some wider angle lenses can distort the normal picture with barrel distortion (curvature of the picture). When shooting panoramics I have the camera set to the equivalent of a 50mm lens.

Although I haven't tried doing a panoramic using a wide angle converter like the Raynox DCR-6600Pro which is a .66x that doesn't distort like other wide angle converters (at least with my Olympus C-700).
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:43 AM   #8

Gday Mikefellh... Hows the DCR-6600pro go on your C-700?? Is there any signs of vignetting or blurry edges... I am one of those people that got suckered with these cheap lenses on ebay etc... The vignetting is so bad with a Bower 0.38x wide angle lens i bought that it is totally through useless to me... The 2x telephoto is not much better with very blurry edges... You do get what you pay for hey!!! I have an Olympus C-770 and am now trying to make up my mind between the Olympus WCON-07 wde angle (.7x)and the raynox DCR-6600pro (.66x)... Im leaning towards the Raynox as its: 1) slightly wider view2) looks better made asOlympus lens seems to be made of plastic 3) Is slightly cheaper and easier for me to get here in Australia (online)...Mymain concern is im am unable to try before i buy cause i cant find either here in stores near me... I will have to purchase onlineand dont want to make the mistake of buying a lens that is not compatible with my cam and definately want no vignetting... Im off to South America soon and want my pics lookingas perfect as i can for an amature...I appreciate any response to help me make my decision...

Cheers all... Patto
cpatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:45 PM   #9

cpatto wrote:
Quote:
Gday Mikefellh... Hows the DCR-6600pro go on your C-700?? Is there any signs of vignetting or blurry edges... I am one of those people that got suckered with these cheap lenses on ebay etc...
The biggest issue with wide angles is if you have a filter inbetween there's more chance of vignetting. For instance because I have a 55mm tube and the DCR-6600Pro is a 52mm tube I have a 55-52mm step-down ring and that causes the tinyiest bit of vignetting. Some parts of the lens housing is made out of plastic, but it seems very well built. The most important part though is the optics, and they seem to be of very good quality (personally the lack of barrel distortion speaks for itself).

Since you have a C-770 check out Raynox's C-770 page:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm