Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2002, 3:23 PM   #11

what is the baseline that they are using? is it that there is noise or is it that the other manufactures decided to soften the images to appeal. it really comes down that no one is using a qualitative method of measuring this "noise". they just say its there because it is in this camera not others. maybe it is giving higher level detail that they are not used to.

there are choices that can be made from soft to vivid in the 7i/Hi series.

nikon digitals are known for blowing out the highlights yet i guess theres nothing wrong with that because its never an issue brought up. that shows that there are differences in their processing algorithyms from minolta. its like the difference between fujichrome and ektachrome. they don't have the same curves.

is the glass half full or half empty?
or should i ask is nikon right or is minolta right?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:40 PM   #12

I too anguished over the three maybe four fuji S602 is a good camera for the price too. But in the end you have to admit The D7's rule. I have the 7 Hi and love it to death. Will match pic for pic with 5700. And best yet try and take low lights with the 5700. I wish you luck also try protecting your lense with a uv filter lots os luck screwing it on. Then there is the batteries. 10.00 for 4 AA's 50 bucks apiece for the nikon lithium ones. What will you do with all the batteries if you get a different camera. You can atleast use the AA for your wireless mouse, hehehe. Plus if you get a dimage you get to talk to the friendliest nicest and most helpful group of people.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:25 AM   #13
NHL

Klaus DK

Quote:
"...five megapixel digital cameras (such as Nikon's Coolpix 5700). All of these cameras exhibit far lower noise levels at ISO 100 than the 7i, and noise doesn't appear to be any better with the advent of the 7Hi."
I have no problem with that statement at all with the D7's default setting; However if you go through the Minolta dpreview forum as well as this one, their owners & posters have reported several times to Phil that if one just changed the camera setting from 'normal' to 'soft' the so call 'noise' is eliminated! But Phil has to play favoritism to the Coolpixes and through two subsequent reviews (D7i & D7hi) instead of clarifying this point he had to create NOISE again since he can't find anything else wrong with the cameras. Other adjustmensts like contrast adjustment also help, which is what all the D7's are superior at. The camera let its owner decide through its multitudes of adjustments (unlike the Sony/Nikon way or take a hike!!!)

BTW I leave my camera on 'normal', not that I like 'noise', but I want to preserve the details. Noise can be dealt with down line in Photoshop much better than anything in a camera algorithm can offer, also you get to decide what to do with your pictures not Sony or Nikon. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 8:27 AM   #14
NHL

Rikster

Quote:
Plus if you get a dimage you get to talk to the friendliest nicest and most helpful group of people.
Quite diversified (I think) bunch, from theses few examples:

KCan - too much time on his hand, have tried (like me) numerous time to open up the D7's and see how it ticks and a poet (unlike me)!

MonsieurMS - World traveler and our resident wine tasting expert!

SMJS - He flies, or @ least keep them flying and a hint of video/music background...

Padeye - The most photographer mind among us IMHO.

... and countless others
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Of course I'll do everything possible to check out the noiselevel for myself and make my own opinion. Neither Phil, Steve or you can change that. Hope others do the same.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:31 AM   #16

why i expect no less. just remember what the definition of what digital noise is though.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:40 AM   #17

I'll keep it in mind.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:27 AM   #18

good luck on your quest.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:33 AM   #19

Thanks! I'll deside during the next couple of month whether it's gonna be 7Hi or not!
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:34 PM   #20

:shock: hehe , just see this today :mrgreen:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote