Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:57 PM   #1

Default Tough choice: Minolta 7Hi, Sony F717 or Nikon 5700??

for the best image quality, relatively straightforward operation.
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:58 AM   #2
NHL

I would say the F717 would be the best for straightforward operation wth relative good images straight out from the box. However you have to remember that one does give up a few flexibilities in doing so: ie stuck with small MemorySticks (they have been promising larger ones for years now) and limited control as one's experience with the camera grow.

The 7Hi is the most SLR like with the most controls and features hence the most flexible, but ease of operation is not its forte! (although it can be used in point & shoot mode @ the 'P' position).

The 5700 will fit anywhere between the F717 and the 7Hi...

No help hey? My recommendation is go and try them out, may be even the touch and feel of each camera may sway you one way or another, but there's no mistake here and they are all excellent cameras!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:45 AM   #3

Default 5700

I just bought the Nikon CP5700 and I like it so far
good quality and easy to use
dirtyharry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 8:14 AM   #4

from what the growing posts are showing is that the 5700 was not quite the well thought out camera everyone thought it was. yes it does take excellent images, that is undeniable and great. that is 90% photographer 10% camera.
where it trips up though, and that is regretful, is systems integration.
1-external lighting
2-filters
3- wide angle shooting(this one is a personal gripe. almost no digicam goes below a 32mm equivelent w/o needing a aux (yuk!)lens
all have some form of less than elegant attachment and less then optimum operation.

i am a confirmed (well almost) nikon slr user since 1989. but when it came to this range of digicams i felt minolta had the better solution by creating a more slr type of system approach.

the product has grown on that system approach now and evolved on the same concept and form factor where as nikon has changed design characteristics just about every year.

this is an opinion mixed in with some just plain obvious facts so take this as you wish. its worth as moch as the next persons
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:47 PM   #5

I have to agree with SJMS! (Did I actually write that?)

If I should buy (and maybe I will soon) a new digicam in that pricelevel, I certainly would choose the new Minolta 7hi. I haven't shot any photos with it yes, but after reading different reviews, I would go for it as a really serious choice.

It's - I think - the best digicam in about 1000 Dollars at this moment.

I'm a CP5700 owner at this moment and misses following - for me - very important things:

1). manuel macro focus control. (very important)
2). leading light for the flash. (very imporant)
3). The AAA batteries. (can live with that)

when that's said....the CP5700 got THE zoom, some other great qualityes, a stylish sexy design AND delivers THE BEST QUALITYPHOTOS AROUND:

You may watch the varity of my photos - you'll se what I mean'

Still I have a urgent need for the three features mentioned above.

I would go for the new Minolta!!!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:18 PM   #6

Klaus DK- Say it ain't so? :mrgreen:
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:51 PM   #7

At this moment - that's the way it is.

You know - I think the 7hi seems to be a great camera. I'm a little worried though about the noise. I've heard from several users, that the problem with noise still exists. And the zoom - uhhh I'll need it, and the...

But then again I think, at this moment, the 7hi would be a better camera for me. But I think I'll wait to, untill the next gen. I would like some more pixels. I think it the wrong time to change - but maybe the right time to buy the 7hi as a new one. If you know what I mean.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 8:10 PM   #8

the noise issue has been more talk then reality. i think that a lot of people cannot distinguish noise from texture in images. i got my 7Hi 2 wks ago and sold my 7i to a friend today who is the US Park Service Photographer for Ellis Island And The Statue of Liberty. he feels the same way about it. printed off some images at 8x10 for him and he couldn't see any real noise either. it's perception more than anything.

i now see threads of people seeing noise in other camera images. it seems to be a self fullfilling problem. someone "expert" says its there so it must be true. i'll live thru it though. i've already planned my next move. but the 7Hi is the keeper.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 5:35 AM   #9
NHL

Default Bias Reviews ???

It's interesting to note that the dpreview articles always favor Nikon (Phil never hide the fact he's a Nikon fan) cameras, where terms such as 'noise' and 'battery hog' are always tagged to the D7's by inexperience readers and long rebuffed by several independent sites and owners.

If one compares the development of theses cameras from last year and reading all the CP5000vsD7 and CP5700vsD7i dpreviews, a newbie will always go for the Nikons! Unlike Steve, Phil always paints a rosy picture of the Nikons while nitpicking on the Minoltas (did he ever brought up the low light AF inability or the external flash limitations of the Coolpixes?). The superior features of the D7's never got emphasised or get a chance. Take the Direct Manual Focus or real-time histogram of the Minolta for example, until a user has bought the Nikon, and brought it home to find out how strange it's is to focus using pushbuttons, by then it's too late (ditto with external Nikon flashes)... But noises on the D7's? everyone has to know about this. Yes, visible when magnified to 100% or more on a PC screen, but turn out to be good details when printed (which Minolta won DIMA 2002 for it) after all!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#13155

Even the 5700 EVF's 1year behind copy had to be the best when the D7's one has more pixels as well as finer graphical GUI...(and more features laden). In fact when the D7hi was initially reviewed, Phil made several glaring condemnations, that eventually got corrected. Plus features like the WYSIWYG that separate the D7 from all others is mistakenly criticized as a defect as well as the colorspaces (wider if anyone understand this).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3358237

I'm sure lots of newbies have gone the Coolpixes way, and Nikon has Phil to thank for... but what's a disservice to their readers! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 3:06 PM   #10

NHL...

Not to defend Phil Askey but in his comments on the 7hi he states:

"...five megapixel digital cameras (such as Nikon's Coolpix 5700). All of these cameras exhibit far lower noise levels at ISO 100 than the 7i, and noise doesn't appear to be any better with the advent of the 7Hi."

As far as I can read - this is not just a "Nikon thing" but a comparison to several 5mp cameras - maybe more a Minolta weakness. No matter how well he speaks of Nikon (or other camerabrands) it won't add either more or less noise to the M7 series.
I've also read in other forums and Steves Minoltaforum about USERS who have "problems " with the noiselevel of 7hi.

I think it's one of the most important issues in digicams - the noise - we're all going for as less noise as possible.
We all want pinsharp photos - right!

Of course I'll do everything possible to check out the noiselevel for myself and make my own opinion. Neither Phil, Steve or you can change that. Hope others do the same. One has to be satisfied before buying.