Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:13 PM   #1

I am thinking about getting a sony DSC-P72, but I heard the software is bad with it. My sister has a canon A70 and the software is great. My question is, can I use a sony camera with the canon software? Any help with this question will be appreciated. Thanks
jrdnsrnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 3:32 PM   #2

If you are refering to the photo capture and edit software, the problem will likely be with downloading photos from the camera I don't think the canon zoombrowser will recognize the other camera type. That is easily overcome by getting a card reader rather than trying to link your camera up to the computer. They cost about $20 USD.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

Yup - The different companies go out of their way to keep interchangabilty from happening.

A card reader is the universal answer !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4

Most cameras appear as drives on the computer...(assuming Windows) if you go into Windows Explorer with the camera attached, you should see another drive letter.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

Yes, but if the download software you use is say, Canon's, it needs some sort of file (probably a DLL of some kind) to recognize the particular camera. For instance, I had a Canon S40 that I used to hook up to my computer and download using the Canon software. When I bought my Digital Rebel and tried hooking it up to the computer, the Canon software would not read from it (until I installed the new stuff that came with the D-Rebel). Third party download software might to a better job of recognizing other cameras but I'm guessing the Canon software will do the same thing when he tries to hook up the Sony Camera - it will give him an error saying it can't read from it or unsupported camera type or something like that.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote