Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:31 PM   #1

I just bought this camera and my subjects have Glowing Red Eyes... even with the red-eye reduction activated. The Canon software that came with the camera apparently does not allow touch up of only part of a photo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:!:
JDjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

Most small consumer digicams like your A75 suffer from red eye because the flash is so close to the lens. In my experience, the red eye reduction feature of these cameras is of little value. In fact, I've found that by the time all that preflashing is done my subjects have either closed their eyes ormoved. I find it's much better to disable this feature and deal with red eye later.

Your solution, short of buying an external flash, is to remove the red eye via software.Irfanview , a freeware program, does a fair jobof this. It's aGREAT VALUE for it's price ($0.00). The program I use most often is PSP8 (Paint Shop Proversion eight) which does an excellent job. Most of thebetter image processing programsalso doexcellent jobs.

As you've noticed, the programs most camera manufacturers provide with their cameras are rather lacking.

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:33 PM   #3

Isn't that what you normally see around Halloween? ;-)

Seriously, one of the best tips is to make sure you take the pictures before your subjects drink any alcohol...even a beer can cause pupils to dialate.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Administrator

I recently downloaded and tried this program which seems to do a pretty decent job with most redeye. It's not free, but it does allow you to highlight all of the effected eyes in a photo at the same time:

http://www.vicman.net/redeye/index.htm

It does not workwhere the eyes are filled with white/yellow flash reflections versus red (a frequent problem with a little Konica KD-510z I use). But, it seems to work OK for normal redeye.

I'm still trying to find the perfect redeye fix program (after trying lots of them). For severe problems, I use Epson Film Factory (detects non-red flash reflections much better than most; although it can leave some unwanted artifacts around the eye if you have to set the detection/correction all the way up to reduce theyellow/white reflections.

If I've got lots of time, I use Paint Shop Pro to do a better job on severe problems.

Chances are, for a model like your Canon, most any of the decent editors will work OK (even the free irfanview, downloadable from http://www.irfanview.com does about as well as most of them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:21 AM   #5

Thanks to each of you for the helpful responses. The Irfanview software took care of the issue and, Mikefellh, I have asked my 12 year old daughter who was born on Halloween, to lay off the alcohol. :-)
JDjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:15 AM   #6

To compensate for that reply, here's a LOT more detail on the red eye issue:

http://www.dpfwiw.com/red-eye.htm
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote