Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Color Prints

I am using an Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer and the printed colors never match my screen. I do not understand calibrations and RBG, ICM or any of the other adjustments that can be made.

I spend a lot of time getting my pictures to look just the way I want them and then have them print out differently.

If anyone can offer any help or point me in the right direction where the information is written for a "dummy" I would certainly appreciate it. I have gone to many sites that I was able to find but they are so technical that I did not understand one word that was written.

Thanks
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:29 AM   #2

I'm not encouraging 'flame' posts to my reply, BUT you are right this is a very tricky area and it's not simple. Any device handling colour, cams,displays,printers,scanners even films and prints from different shops can display colour differently. Sometimes a manufacturers print 'brand' is based on market preference - rather than 'true to life'.

To get it right, every device and image media needs to be 'calibrated' Modern printers have schemes to do this as do monitors and scanners. But monitor displays need to be adjusted for the normal room lighting.

It's been said many times on this forum - keep copies of all original cam files! After editing, you might regret not having originals, when say you change a printer or monitor. You are allowed personal preference - this is an artistic medium - so right could be right for you - as long as it's consistent!

My beginners advice would be if it's a reasonable cam, shoot pics in good daylight and try flash. Without editing, see if you get prints you like using the usual printer 'photo' modes. If you do, then check your basic screen setup as follows: In Windows control panel/displays, check the listed driver corresponds with the make of monitor you are using and you've got 24 or 32 bit true colour selected, and say 800x600 resolution. Install correct screen drivers if Windows reports 'Generic'.

Afterwards run your photo-editor and look for monitor display set up tools for things like brightness/contrast/gamma and follow setup instructions. Colour prints using dyes, will never be exactly like the monitor, but you should get both close. At your stage, trust the camera for colour first, but learn that the camera sometimes gets it wrong and intelligent editing can give significant improvement.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 9:00 AM   #3

I apologize if this is a "flame" rely but I do not know what that means - this is the first and only forum that I have ever participated in and truly want help desperately.

I am using an Olympus D-40 camera, Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer and my monitor is Dell M781s on NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 which is set at 800X600, 32 bit color.

When I looked at the "Advanced" tab under "Settings" I see "Default Monitor Profile <none>" and no profiles listed. I then looked at "Add" and saw many profiles listed - again, I have absolutely no idea and am at a loss as to what I should do. Do you suggest I add all these profiles and see which matches the printed material or try to figure out what to do with the printer settings so that the pictures match the monitor?

I could post a picture wherein the background is grayish (which it should be because it is concrete) on my monitor but is printing out as blue.

Again, I am not trying to be a pest, but am trying to learn.

Thankyou
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 9:49 AM   #4

I have the same display driver. Under
the monitor tab make sure "plug and play"
is selected. Also make sure your on board
video is turned off, this could cause conflicts.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:14 AM   #5

I didn't intend to hurt feelings, but we all have different views and I'm trying to help at the bottom level on a topic which might fill up the board from experts!

O.K you have a Dell. You need to eliminate some 'unknowns' A default monitor 'profile' should not give gross colour differences. I'm trying to find out if you have really gross errors ( grey/Blue sounds gross) or small ones. Forget the monitor first.

So cam file straight to printer without editing, on a sunny day should print good realistic prints. If not start looking at the printer options, or worst case camera. To be sure it's not the cam , download a pic file from this Forum (competition Winner?) and try printing it. You can be sure these are good pics -these members are hot! You may also be able to get some sample pics off your photo editor CD. So, printer and cam O.K, colour error must be in your monitor/graphics card setup.

Can you borrow another pc monitor? That would be helpful, 'cos if that's OK, your graphic card is O.K but your monitor isn't.

If brightness and contrast seem OK, colour matching is the fine stuff - you seem to have big errors at the moment. You don't have a reference to tell you what's right, hence I suggest try another monitor.

One other thought, Dell buy in their monitors, check their website or installation discs to see if they have their own driver for your monitor. You might then see 'Dell' in the monitor type description in your pc.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:39 PM   #6

Default Monitor

Frosty i also have a Dell monitor but i build my own PC's. You should do what voxmagna said first but i would also get that monitor setting changed from "default" to the correct monitor too. Under that "ad" section you should see a bunch of manufactures including Dell. Double click on the Dell on the left and on the right panel you should see a bunch of Dell monitors to choose from. See if your monitor is listed there it mite very well be there. If it is listed pick that, if it isnt go to the Dell site and do a search under downloads at Dell put in your monitor model number, they should have a driver listed for your monitor if its not to old.

But like Voxmagna said, do what he suggest too and see if you have a color profile problem. Good luck.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote