Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:24 AM   #11

I looked at slides.com, but it was more expensive than I wanted/needed to pay. I have just about decided to buy a new scanner and do it that way.

Thanks for everyones opinions/solutions. I knew I came to the right place.:-)

Had to edit to correct spelling -- guess I should use spel cheker.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:15 PM   #12

Hi

You might want to buy a small inexpensive slide viewer to see if tyou can delete some before scanning.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:09 PM   #13
jq

I also have several thousand slides from the late 60's-early 70's on Ectachrome. If I try to scan with flatbed or film scanner, will i have to make individual adjustments to each one for correcting color etc from entering thru film scanner? I thought I read that on here a while back. I realize that some color and lots of enhancement or brightening may be needed, but hope I don't have to do each just for scanning in.
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:34 PM   #14

You might see if some local college kids would do the scanning for you for a flat fee once you have the scanner.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:44 PM   #15

If you just scan each one you can edit them later in your prefered photo editor. When you scan them they should turn out exactly as they would appear when viewed with a slide projector. The higher dots per inch you scan them at the longer it will take. If you scan them at 150 dots per inch it is much quicker but when you blow them up to full screen size they look very blocky. My advice is to experiment till you find a quality that you are happy with. Any that you would be thinking about printing out in a large format will have to be scanned at a higher dots per inch. Hope this helps.

Jak
JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:52 PM   #16

Thanks for the comments. You have given me several things to think about. I keep hoping that my wife will tell me that this is "the" most important thing in my life and I should retire and work on it full time. I am also hoping that I win the $146M Mega Million jackpot this Friday.:-) Might have a better chance at the jackpot than retirement.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:18 PM   #17

If you can afford it, the general opinion for a long time is that Nikon makes the best scanners, including ones for slides. I know many people who do this and the most often used scanner is one of the high end Nikons. The latest generation of ICE in the scanner really works magic. Saves you LOADS of time and produces very good results.

The CoolScan V is supposed to be very good at around $560'ish. They make better ones, but you start to double and quadrupal the price. (Super Coolscan 5000 - $1049, Super Coolscan 9000 - $2,000)

You might find some of these links useful, I don't believe you need to register to read them:
http://forums.naturephotographers.ne...552#9420021552
http://forums.naturephotographers.ne...10571#83210571
http://forums.naturephotographers.ne...841#2546085841

Just for starts.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote