Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1

Don't know if this has been discussed before - search didn't reveal anything.

I lived in Europe for 8 years when I worked for the Army and I took a ton of pictures. I used a Minolta SRT-101 (good camera) and shot mostly slides (because I shot so many). I am looking for a way to possibly transfer the slides to CD's or DVD's. I have about 4500 slides and the only way I know to transfer them is to scan them. However, my current scanner is about 3 years old and doesn't have this capability. Ithink that even if I bought a new one, this might not be the best way to do this. Has anyone done this and how difficult was it? I'm sure that having it done commercially will cost me an arm and a leg -- possibly 2 legs!

Would appreciate any comments/tips/suggestions you may have.
frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:11 PM   #2

If you wish to do it commercially, try slides.com.

However, with the quantity you have, I would buy an appropriate scanner. Try B and H Photo.

Mike M
mmppines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:39 PM   #3

Hey- Frontier

The least expensive way is to get a Minolta or Nikon slide scanner and start slugging away. Look at it as a "winter" project. Do a dozen or so at a session. For quality it is probably your best method.

I did about 400+ for my sister-in-law last year, and yes it is tedious.

An old saying: Good-Fast-Cheap, pick any Two !!

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4

Hi, I recently had the pleasure of scanning my mothers whole slide collection. I first checked around to see how much it would cost in a photo processing lab. Needless to say they werent really interested so they quoted me a ridiculous price (2 euros) per slide. Naturally i decided to do it myself. I bought a cheap scanner with a slide adapter. I think it cost me about 70 euros.(i purchased it in pounds sterling) Im not kidding if I had known how long it was going to take i wouldnt have started. But I had already promised. It takes a long time. About two or three minutes for each pair of slides depending on what resolution you scan them at. I spent many an evening doing it but when it was done it was done. The photos are now preserved for ever in digital format and I can print them or manipulate them any way i like. I t was well worth the effort but be prepared to spend plenty of long evenings feeding slides into the scanner. One good thing. I t was a facinating trip down memory lane as i was doing it. Enjoy.
Attached Images

JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:30 PM   #5

Sorry, dint send right the last time. This is from 1971. Notice how slides deteriorate over time. Some of them were a lot worse. If you value your pictures, back them up.
Attached Images

JakTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:56 PM   #6

Well JakTheHat- I hope he listens to us.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:51 AM   #7

frontier02 wrote:
Quote:
I have about 4500 slides and the only way I know to transfer them is to scan them.
I have been engaged in personal projects like this for many years, and progress is very slow.

An alternative, fasterapproach I have used with success is to project a small bright image on to a white card in a darkened room, and film a slide show with a camcorder, adding a commentary if desired. The quality is poor, of course, relative to your 35mm slides, but it gets the job done. If you use a digital camcorder and continue to transfer the data to each new medium as it comes along, it'll archive with no loss.

In addition, you could choose only the best slides for scanning and archiving on CD/DVD/whatever comes next.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:33 PM   #8

Sorry, been out of town for a few days (my job seems to get in the way of fun stuff:lol and I did not have the chance to reply.

Thanks to everyone for their comments/suggestions. The other night, I was using a magnifying glass and holding the slides to a light and saw some things that I had forgetton about -- great trip down memory lane.

I will probably buy a newer/better scanner and slowly work my way through them. Who knows, if the powers to be (aka, my wife) gives the OK to retire, I should have plenty of time. Yeah, right, fat chance of that happening.

BTW, anyone have a recommendation about a good film/slide scanner? Looked at a Canon (can't remember the model) on line a week or so ago and itwas something like $400. This is a tad (big tad) out of my price range. Thanks.

frontier02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:00 PM   #9

I purchased the Konica/Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV for about $285. Exceptional performance.

Here are a couple of galleries of 40 year old slides scanned on it.

Trains:

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/trains

Radio Stations (KOMA):

Some of these were old Ecktachromes that were almost completely faded out. I restored them in Photoshop after scanning them with the Dimage IV.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/koma_oklahoma_city

The other film/slide scanner that is well recieved is the Nikon, but it is more than twice as much money and I don't hear anyone saying it is any better. Haven't used it, however.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:15 PM   #10

Hi

1) Get a good scanner - Canon models are great.
2) Scan the slides one by one (no choice there). Or get a professional to do it (e.g. slides.com)

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks