Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2002, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Photos look very bad on my older Pixie 15" monitor

This is something that I noticed at home on my 3 or 4 year old Pixie 15" monitor, when I view the "sample" photos from "Steve's Digicam reviews" on the Nikon coolpix 2500 camera.
The photos look very bad on my monitor, but at work they look great, at home the photos have very bad blotches, sky, windows of the bldgs, detail very bad,etc.
At work we have a NEC Multisync 1530V set at 1024x768 true color 24bit, at home I have a Pixie(model?) I set it at 1024x768 true color 24bit to view the photos, but they still looked bad.
Both monitors set the same, why does mine look so bad?
I never had this problem before and could always view other cameras that were 1mp, how about viewing someones 4, 5 or 6mp shots, do I need a new monitor? does that mean when I get my new 2mp camera I can't view the photos at 1600x1200? and must drop down to a lower res on the camera to lets say 1024x768?.
FYI, I have windows XP home on a Compaq 5300us 1.1gb, 512sd ram, 20gb HD
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill :?
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:02 PM   #2

The camera resolution in Mpix won't make that much difference to the colours displayed on your monitor. Most people have their monitors set to 800X600 resolution that's about 1/2Mpixels! Doing photo work needs a really good stable monitor, photos are much more demanding of the Monitor and GFX card. You don't need the same resolution in the monitor as the cam produces. If you tried this, the monitor brightness/contrast would be too low. I use 1024x768 (happy medium) on a 19" monitor.

You've already learned the first correct step - start with a known good file (or even sample image files off editor CD's). I'd always put as much /$$$'s into the display as I can afford! Compare your 2 monitors side by side and the differences may be even greater.

At least you found out by good luck, that your future on-screen editing might be more destructive than constructive! Monitors do wear out and you can't afford to waste time re-editing. I'd look at a new 17" monitor as your pc spec looks OK. But check your graphics card will support 24/36 bit True colour and at least 1024x768 at 75-80Hz refresh.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 3:27 PM   #3

voxmagna is correct about the monitor. I would add that you should look at purchasing a 19" monitor.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 5:51 PM   #4

The thing I was trying to say is both my monitor and the one at work are set at 1024x768 and 24bit high color.
Also the photos I was viewing is from this web site, "Steve's digicams" camera reviews "sample photos" of the Nikon coolpix 2500 camera. But it is not only the nikon photos that did this, the other 2mp cameras showed this too, like the sample photos from the Canon S200, etc.
Perhaps I am not understanding something, but BOTH monitors were set the same, why is mine showing bad?
A 19" monitor is out, I have a very small computer desk in a very small room in my mobile home, space is a big problem, money too.
Perhaps someone on this forum that has an older monitor or a small screen one could check out those photos and see if they get the same thing.
Thanks for the information.
Bill
:?
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:14 PM   #5

it only goes to show that all monitors are not created equal. you will have contrast, brightness, and gamma differences from one monitor to another. thats why colorvision and monaco exist. even these may not help because the particular monitor may be at the end of its tube lifespan. calibration may not be possible.

choosing a monitor is just as important to editing as a camera is to the original image. when you purchase a system from dell or gateway do you think their giving you the best monitor available? a computer mfgr is meeting a price point so certain components are considered "expendable".

if your creating an electronic darkroom there are lots of component options which can improve the workflow in that darkroom.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:19 PM   #6

We can't make it any clearer. Monitors are tubes, like light bulbs, the older they are the poorer they get - and you're going to make decisions to create pictures on what you see! Many vendors cut back on monitor quality when they sell a pc package.

Just because you tell the pc what the monitor is and what signals to send it, doesn't mean it puts the right colours in front of you!

You've said what pics are bad. Can you give us examples of any photos you think are really good on your monitor AND also look good on another monitor? Post a good and bad photo on this forum and we'll come back with some comparisons for you on our monitors. 19" monitors are a bit big and heavy, but I'll bet a new flat (square tube type NOT flat panel) 17" is not much bigger than what you have.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:56 PM   #7

flat panels at this point cannot deliver the same quality image of a good crt. they're useable but you better get a good one. they are currently limited in pitch,resolution, and refresh rate. also most of them have limited correction ranges. to get one even close to crt quality your putting out the big $xxxx.xx
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:01 PM   #8

Sjms... sorry I wouldn't dream of suggesting flat panel! what I said was flat, by which I mean't fst (flat square tube) 'cos I'm thinking he might have one of those older rounded tube 15" monitors. I'll edit the post for you!
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:02 PM   #9

oki dokie. no need to edit