Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2002, 3:29 AM   #1

Default Best way to Digitize your existing Prints/Negatives/Slides

:?:
What is the Best and inexpensive method to Digitize your existing Prints/Negatives/Slides.

thanks in adv
ajeet
:?:
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:11 AM   #2

I use a Primefilm 1800U slide scanner, works well for positives and negs - 35mm only. I think it's made by Microtek

Have a look at Epson's flatbed scanners for scanning prints. You don't need to spend a fortune to get good results. You could buy an adaptor to scan slides/pos's too.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:24 AM   #3

However, it's inexpensive, the online reviews for Primefilm 1800U slide scanner say that it is no good, and the results are less than acceptable.

anyone with any other opinions?
thanks in adv
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:21 PM   #4

It works very well for positives and pretty good for negs. The positives I have scanned are quite faithful to the original especially after a bit of post processing. One report I read before buying heaped praise on it (at the price).

For digitising all my old slides (2000) to view on the screen, it was a good buy.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:48 AM   #5

Hi,

I hear the Canon D1250U2F is an excellent scanner for negatives. Apparently it is not so good - but still good for regular photo scans.

A couple of advantages for people scanning in large collections of photos (especially negatives) are:

1. You can place a number of photos/negatives onto the glass, without them necessarily being all lined up, and it is supposed to figure out each individual image and save it separately

2. It supports USB 2.0, so if you spend AU$40 ($20US) and get a USB 2.0 card for your comp, it scans much faster than USB 1.1.

Also it is a very cheap scanner (considering it does film/negatives and has USB 2.0). In Australia it sells for approx AU$250 or so -> probably US$120 or so at a guess.

As I said I have read a few good reviews on this, I havent used one myself, but if I were to buy a scanner I would probably buy this one (Im just not all that well 'loaded' at the moment!). You may want to do a search under Yahoo for "canon d1250u2f review" or something like that, to bring up some reviews.

Good luck in your search anyway, and let us know how you go.

Elia
Sotterraneo is offline   Reply With Quote