Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1

This post didn't get a response in the Editors (Photoshop, etc.) forum. I've had excellent responses in the past in this forum so I thought I would give it a try here...

I recently purchased the Sony DSC V-3. Until its recent release, I think the F-828 was the only Sony camera with Raw format. I know that Photoshop CS (Adobe.com) has a download that supports the F-828. Does anyone know if it will also support the V3? I'm not sure how it works... maybe all sony RAW formats are the same or maybe each model has it's differences requiring its own plugin... Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator

This is only speculation, but I think that the new Sony DSC-V3 is using a standard GRBG (Green, Red, Blue, Green)type color filter array. The Sony DSC-F828 used a unique RGBE (Red, Green, Blue, Emerald) color filter array.

So, the RAW files should be different (both from a format perspective and from a size perspective) if this is the case. I'm only speculating here, since I don't see Sony mentioning the use of a RGBE filter array in the V3 features description (and they did mention it in the 828 features description).

Dave Coffin (the author of dcraw.c) added the DSC-F828 to dcraw.c after it was introduced. But, he had to reverse engineer the RAW files to do it, includingdecryption (apparently, Sony decided to encrypt the RAW files from it).

Many RAW conversion programs are based at least in part on Dave Coffin's work. You'll see a list under "Commercial Software" here:

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I don't see where the DSC-V3 has been added yet. So, it's probably different enough that it may take some time for it to show up in the RAW conversion programs. Most manufacturers don't publish the specs for their RAW files. As a result, these formats must be reverse engineered before you see them supported via third party software applications (and this is probably not always easy).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:05 PM   #3

Thanks very much for your response JimC.

The Sony website says that the V3 uses the Real Imaging Processor. When you click the icon for the real imaging processor the description says... "Sony's Real Imaging Processor CPU converts RGB+E input to ideal RGB"

This kinda makes me think the all newer Sony cameras using this processor use the RGB+E filter array. Anyway, if I downloaded the plug-in for the F-828 and tried it for the V3 do you think it would be blatently obvious that it's incompatible or compatible? Meaning would pictures look horrible. Maybe it just wouldn't even attempt to convert the files. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:13 PM   #4
Administrator

stallen wrote:
Quote:
The Sony website says that the V3 uses the Real Imaging Processor. When you click the icon for the real imaging processor the description says... "Sony's Real Imaging Processor CPU converts RGB+E input to ideal RGB"
Thanks -- I didn't know that.

Quote:
Anyway, if I downloaded the plug-in for the F-828 and tried it for the V3 do you think it would be blatently obvious that it's incompatible or compatible? Meaning would pictures look horrible. Maybe it just wouldn't even attempt to convert the files. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
You'd have to try it to find out. Even when a manufacturer uses a very similar RAW format with a newer model, sometimes the convertors don't work properly.

Since the image sizes are different, even if Sony used the same basic format, encryption technique, etc., it may not convert it without some problems (or it may not even try due to the differences in camera names, potential byte offset differences for information, etc.). Usually, these things are a little more complex than meets the eye.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:45 PM   #5

OK, I tried it. Photoshop just refuses to open a raw file from my V3 with the plug-in. I know I installed the plug-in properly because I found a .SRF (must stand for sony raw format) file from dcresource for the Sony F-828 and it open that file just beautifully. I'll just have to wait until Adobe updates the plug-in... meanwhile I'll just use the software that came with the camera. Thanks for your help JimC! You've given me some good advice on several other topics. I appreciate it!