Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:14 AM   #11

I tend to like dvds myself, but checking that many files can be a pain. so i use dvd sig. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulif...ezip/freeware/
automates the process of checking integrity; all in all quite painless.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:51 AM   #12

Thanks for the tip on that program. Very handy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:09 AM   #13

If you use DVD's for backup, a word of caution.

I used to burn all my images to CD's. Most of these CDs were multi-session in that I added to them periodically until they were full and then started another. I could read these multisession CDs just fine.

When I got my DVD burner, I found that I could burn multi-session DVDs so I copied my CD collection on to DVD's but a little voice said don't get rid of the CDs just yet. Over the weekend, I discovered that I could only read the first session on the DVDs. I tried many things to extract the files from the other sessions but to no avail. Roxio 6 acknowleges that there are five sessions on one of the disks and even has the ability to copy those sessions to .iso files. I did that but the iso files were not useable.

I finally went on line and found a program called IsoBuster whose purpose is to recover "unrecoverable" files from a cd or dvd. I tried it on my WIN98SE system and it didn't work. It reported numerous read errors. I then tried it on my wife's laptop with WIN XP Home and it worked great. I was able to extract all the files from the DVD and copy them to CDs.

Needless to say, my confidence in DVDs for data storage has dropped significantly.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:52 AM   #14

Willyjeen wrote:
Quote:
I was referring to the best format for storing on a cd for lastability (is that a word!
I think longevity is the word you were after
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:08 PM   #15

calr wrote:
Quote:
Needless to say, my confidence in DVDs for data storage has dropped significantly.
I haven't had that experience, yet, but I also don't do multisession on my dvd's. Haven't had problems reading back from them. Since I first back up on cd's I can afford to wait a while until there are enough files to fill a dvd. I just sellect an approximate ammount of pictures that will fit in a dvd, then burn it single session. I just found out B&H has the TDK armored plated dvd's on sale, I may give those a try
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:12 PM   #16

Personally -

I like "Lastability"it has a certain authority to it !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:58 PM   #17

Cal, additionally with _any_ optical media try to avoid udf or packet writing. It is probably the most reliable way of losing all your files. :evil: I haven't had those problems(yes), but keeping them in a cool relatively dry environment and taken in and out of jewel cases as seldom as possible is still the best bet.

In general the strategy i use is a copy on dvd + 2 copies on a pair of harddisks. Added in checking regularly there isn't much of a chance of loss of the catalog.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:22 PM   #18

well - it's been a couple of days and I still like "lastability" - so there!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote