Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:14 PM   #1
Administrator

Since Firefox Version 1.0 was released a couple of days ago, and is getting so much press, I thought I'd download and try it.

It seems to work fine on most sites, but it does act strangely on this one.

I've had several problems so far. The first one is that it always tries to download embedded images (attached to the forum post -- not just links to images stored elsewhere) including the .php extension (as attachment.php.jpg). So, I delete the .php first.

It also crashed when I tried to download images with it (after "hanging" a few times when I attempted to use the Save Image As Feature, then finally giving me some kind of "do I want to cleanup the failed downloads" screen. This screen locked it up hard, and it initially ignored my attempts to end it as a task -- finally crashing hard with an error report.

It seems to be working OK after the crash though.

The next issue is that when I quote a user post in a response (using the Quote Button). The quote shows up as plain text (with the embedded start quote and end quote markers) versus a highlighted quote screen.

Is there a way to change this (although this is not a big issue to me).

In a related issue, I can't highlight text and use the Bold Button. I have to manually add the brackets with the b inside of them to use bold text.

Has anyone found any workarounds to using Firefox here?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:19 PM   #2

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The next issue is that when I quote a user post in a response (using the Quote Button). The quote shows up as plain text (with the embedded start quote and end quote markers) versus a highlighted quote screen.
I am using Firefox now and everything seems to be working as it should.

When I click the bold button, it just inserts the bold on and off tags. I just type in between them and it goes bold

Do you have javascript enabled?
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:25 PM   #3
Administrator

Yes -- Javascript is on.

The bold button does place the brackets for bold (but only at the end of the post). It won't let you highlight text and use the bold button for it.

Are you able to see highlighted text when you use the Quote Button when replying? This doesn't work for me either with Firefox (but works fine with IE).
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:34 PM   #4
Administrator

I asked the WowBB team about it on their forums and got this response:

Quote:
Sorry, the WYSIWYG editor does not currently work with FireFox. But it will be available for FireFox in the near future.
So, I'll just edit via embedded commands for now (or use IE on this site).
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:27 PM   #5

Oh, I see what you mean.

In the editor I don't see highlighted text.

I have only ever used Firefox on this site so I don't know any different :?
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:48 PM   #6

If you don't want to use IE (I gave up 'cause of the too-many security problems) you might want to try Opera. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I'm very happy.

It works very well with this forum and others. The only trouble I've had is it doesn't play well with the web interface to Exchange (which my work uses.) I can view mail but I can't reply (I get a blank window.)

Considering how MS operates, I was kinda surprised that I even got as much as I did.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:12 PM   #7

I've been using the preview release of Firefox for quite a while with no problems. As noted Opera is a pretty good browser as well.
gruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Administrator

gruss wrote:
Quote:
I've been using the preview release of Firefox for quite a while with no problems. As noted Opera is a pretty good browser as well.
It seems to work OK (Firefox). The only major malfunction I'm seeing on the sites I frequent is the inability to use the code tag buttons in most forum software (most versions of phpBB, and the wowBB software used here). Newer versions of phpBBhave fixed the problem (but many sites are still on older versions). wowBB doesn't have a fix yet.

The code tag buttons work (but not the way they are supposed to). With IE using most Bulletin Board software, you can highlight the desired text, use a code tag button, and the code tags are automatically placed around the selected text. This doesn't work with Firefox (code tags are placed at the end of the text). Also, the WYSIWIG editor doesn't work here with Firefox (which is no big deal, and sometimes editing is easier without WYSIWIG). But, I'd prefer it if the code tag buttonsat least worked properly.

I'm not particular fond of the way screens with long URL's don't word wrap here with Firefox either (but, there may be a setting that can be changed for this, as I haven't played with it enough yet to find out).

Firefox doesn't inherit your font size settings from Windows either like IE does (I keep mine set to 125%). Again, no big deal, since you can change the text size within Firefox.

But, given the code tag button issues, combined with better readability of some forum posts with IE, I've gone back to IE on most sites withBulletin Boardsoftware for now.

Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:11 PM   #9

Hi

I'm using Firefox - no problems with this forum so far. It works great.

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:56 PM   #10

I've been using Firefox since version 0.8 and must admit I haven't noticed any problems here, though as you can see I don't do much in the way of posting replies anyway :S
The only problems I've ever really had with it is it acts a bit funny Javascript sometimes, but the pop up blocking and tabbed browsing more than make up for it.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote