Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:53 AM   #1

Just had a sobering experience, I went to my not so local friendly big-box camera dealer and tried to trade in my 14month old Nikon 5400.

<SoapBox>

Their offer 0$. The clerk said they don't want any digital trade-ins of any kind at all, there is no market for yesterdays junk.
They hope most people skip their 12 month upgrade offer, it is intended as a incentive to buy from them, then forgotten.
They do want your old 35mm slr's apparently there is a good demand for the old bodes. (I agree, I won't sell off my old film bodies).

Oh Well, I guess I missed the boat by 2 months, they have a 12month 1/2 back your purchase price, upgrade offer.
Sigh, I guess I will keep the 5400 as a coat/car camera.

BTW: I was there to see about adding a 20d body to my dslrs.
Now that I realize that the drebel/10dalso apparently fall into the classification of "old/unwanted junk"
I am having a really hard think about adding another digital to my camera collection.
<Brain Hurt>Thinking</Brain Hurt> I suspect I will still add the 20d, from a different and much smaller local dealer.
<Brain Hurt>More Thinking</Brain Hurt>Ugh, I suspect this is probably exactly why the dslr prices are staying high,
we the lemmings keep on mindlessly lining up buying them as the stores create shortages and cause panic buying using the all to common tactic nowadays (Buy it now it is the latest and greatest, we only have a few left, don't know when more will become available!).

</SoapBox>
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:26 AM   #2

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
"there is no market for yesterdays junk."

I would have to disagree -- I just sold a 3.5 year old camera on ebay for $100. Yes, the price was quite a bit lower than what was originally paid, but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. I also sold a Minolta flash that is over seven years old as well.

There's a lot of people out there, and *someone* wants what you have.....

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:01 PM   #3

Yes, I agree with you, I know I can sell it privately. What ticked me off what the stores not wanting anything at all to do with their old tech.

Especially when the same 5400 camera is still sitting for sale on their shelves. When I bought it, (first day on market) it was 1200$cdn. Now it is down to 730$cdn but still being sold as new.

Out of interest I asked them what some of my older film stuff would get:

They offered me 100$cdn each for my 420ez and 430ez flashes, and 20$cdn for a canon ef 35-70 kit lens that came with a rebel-g. 100$cdn for therebel-g and 125$cdn for a eos-10s. All this equipment is in about what they call 8+ to 10 condition and over 10 years old. I saw the 10s in their used window reselling for almost 400$cdn. and a 1v for over 2000$cdn used. So yes there does seem to be a good market for the older film stuff at the stores.They didnot even want myEX series flash! :!:

<conspiracy>insert sound from x-files</conspiracy>

To me at least it looks like the stores here are actively trying toprevent a used digital market from forming. Even though there is one, I just sold a Fuji 2mp for 75$, put a notice up ata grocery store and camera was gone is a couple of days.:G5$ less thanI paid for it a year ago:G

Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:09 PM   #4

This is why we have e-bay. I would not even dream about expecting a retailer to offer much on a used camera. Listing a camera with a good price gives another person a chance at enjoying a digital camera.

But, if you do want to trade in try B&H. They sell quality used cameras and have a good return policy.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:33 PM   #5

Another place to sell used stuff is www.keh.com.

I've never dealt with them, but they sell a lot of used camera gear. I don't know if that camera is the type they are looking for or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:52 PM   #6

What you are saying is true for any product where the technology improvements are very rapid. In such cases, the technology improves so rapidly that the older tech products are highly undesirable to a purchaser.

Digital cameras have one of THE steepest technology cycles. Other examples of products include computers (particularly microprocessors, memory (of almost any type), and networking), DVD players, and mobile phones. This is simply the nature of the industry right now. At some point in the future (probably 15 years for digital cameras) the pace will slow down--and hence the depreciation will be far lower. But that isn't now...

There are advantages and disadvantages of the rapid technological development. The bad, obviously, is that the product signficantly drops in price. You would basically get a fraction of the price in 2 years for most digicams, computers, and mobile phones.

The positive side, however, is that the technology changes improve the industry and increase affordability and productivity. If digicams did not improve so much so quickly, the prices would not drop so fast and less people would be able to afford cameras. For example, you can get a pretty decent prosumer camera for US$500. In 3 years, you will likely be able to get a DSLR for US$500 (already the Canon Digital Rebel is under $1000 with basic lens and I expect a 25 megapixel DSLR with very large sensor for $500 in 3 years). This drop in price increases affordability to many who otherwise couldn't buy it (eg. me ). If technology didn't improve so fast, you still wouldn't be able to get the camera in 2020 for US$500!

An example of the impact of slow changing industry is the car industry. The prices of cars have not dropped that much in 50 years (note: cars dropped a lot in the beginning, circa 1920s/1930s to 60s). The good thing is that if you buy a car, the prices don't drop that much; but the bad thing is that the affordability of cars is very low. Lower class people have to spend a huge chunk of their income on cars whether they want to or not (if you are into cars that's another story). Furthermore, apart from being more environmentally friendly and safer, car technology hasn't changed that much since the 70's.

Which is better is a personal choice... I am more into tech (I'm a geek :idea: ) and I like faster changing industries. Not only do technologies improve faster, but the affordability (or productivity if used for a business or from an economic point of view) improves significantly as well.

I think with fast changing industries, the key is to buy a camera with the "disposable" mentality. Buy something that you really want but assume you are going to get nothing. In 3 years, if you get something that's great, but if you get nothing that's ok too...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:29 PM   #7

Peter et al.,
I used to buy the latest and greatest, now i still have my 10d, and have no plans of upgrading anytime soon. For me if i were buying a new dslr i probably would buy a newer one, but the one i have will likely last me for quite a while considering the sherman like build. It takes the photos as well as i can, and still has yet to interfere in an appreciable way. The best shots seem to be taken by and large by those who own a camera long enough to get to know it. But at any rate i would kind of like the lower noise of the 20d
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 5:07 PM   #8

I'm showing my age here :lol:, the first new car I ever bought was an AMC Gremlin for 2300$cdn :GTrying to find a new car (that actually works) for under 20k$cdn is nextto impossible.Car prices are steadily rising, my last truck cost more than my first house :-) but that is inflation foryou. :-):-):-)

I too fall into the tech-no-geek category, I'm always looking to upgrade or replace the the pc's and home theather, expensive hobbies.

Just hard to make that switch from cameras that held some value for long time to cameras that become unwanted every few months.

As Imentioned before,I'll hang on to this one as a coat/car camera, it is small and quite suitable for that, and still makes pretty good 5mp images.

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:

Quote:
An example of the impact of slow changing industry is the car industry. The prices of cars have not dropped that much in 50 years (note: cars dropped a lot in the beginning, circa 1920s/1930s to 60s). The good thing is that if you buy a car, the prices don't drop that much; but the bad thing is that the affordability of cars is very low. Lower class people have to spend a huge chunk of their income on cars whether they want to or not (if you are into cars that's another story). Furthermore, apart from being more environmentally friendly and safer, car technology hasn't changed that much since the 70's.

Which is better is a personal choice... I am more into tech (I'm a geek :idea: ) and I like faster changing industries. Not only do technologies improve faster, but the affordability (or productivity if used for a business or from an economic point of view) improves significantly as well.

I think with fast changing industries, the key is to buy a camera with the "disposable" mentality. Buy something that you really want but assume you are going to get nothing. In 3 years, if you get something that's great, but if you get nothing that's ok too...

Hedwards, That is my main problem, I keep saying I will stop buyinginto the latest/greatest toy. Yet I keepmanaging to convince myself to do so anyway. I really will have to stop doing that. :?.... someday, real soon.

Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:48 PM   #9

It took making myself broke through the last year in terms of pocket money to make it a reality. I grew up in the culture of buy a new one how can last years model possibly be any good? On the bright side you can save a bunch of money buying a new older model just as the replacement arrives.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:47 PM   #10

Have you tried selling a 1 or 2 yr old 35mm Slr lately. Would also be very interesting huh :-). Our whole society is all about obsolesence IMHO.

Lets see, my Sony CD-1000 I'm still using 5 years later and I've added an FZ10. No way would I have used film for the last 5 years, it would have cost a fortune, so we have saved money on the deal, well and truly. At the end of the day IMHO, digital cameras are very inexpensive.

All the best.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote