Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:21 PM   #1

I will be going to Maui next week and am trying to decide if I should had carry my DSLR, 3 lens, tripod, etc. or put it all in a Pelican hard case and check it through? I have never traveled with this much equipment beforeand have been hearing about all the thefts from peoples lugage. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:33 PM   #2

Ugh, you have hit one of my big fears :sad:

I used to put my "breakable" camera stuff in a mid sized pellian and take it as carry-on. Tripod in a duffel bag and checked. But with all the changes the carry-on size restriction has gone down so my case won'tpass anymore.

I've been thinking of shrinking to a smaller pellican that can hold just the camera and one most expensive lens & flash. Still afraid of checking the rest of the lenses though, both for rough treatment and disappearance.

Oh and need to do something for the laptop too :?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:43 PM   #3

There are several things to consider. Any checked luggage is subject to inspection and cannot be locked. If you lock it and they want to inspect it, they will cut the lock, do their inspection, put a notice inside the case indicating an inspection was done, and replace the cut lock with an inspection seal tag. Carrying everything onboard the aircraft has its problems, also. The camera and lenses are ok (subject to inspection on boarding. I am not sure if they will allow the tripod as carry-on. It might be considered a potential weapon. Check your local airport or airline.

Maui, in my opinion, is the most beautiful of the major islands. I was there a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. I decided to leave the tripod home and then found that I really needed it in a couple locations. I tried to buy a monopod at a local camera store but they didn't have any!.

Enjoy your trip and good luck with the gear.

Cal Rasmussen
http://photobucket.com/albums/v92/calroger/Hawaii
http://photobucket.com/albums/v92/calroger/Cruise_Ship
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 2:11 PM   #4

Actually you can now use http://www.tamperseal.com/ luggage locks, they are approved by the tsa/faa as they have the means to open and re-close them without destruction.

I don't think I would even try to take a tripod as carry-on. Those luggage compartments are not exactly big :-).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:25 PM   #5

Thank you both for the links. I think I will continue carrying the camera and lens as carry on. And put the tripod in my checked bag, thank you Cal for the tip about wanting your tripod.

My concern with checking anything is that even if you know your luggage has been inspected and something is missing like the camera it would be a BIG disappointment not being able to take pictures there. I am not willing to take a chance I guess. I would rather lose all my clothes, besides just how many clothes do you need in Maui?

Cal, I loved your pictures, thank you very much for sharing. I can hardly wait to see another one of the islands. My third trip = third island
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote