Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:01 PM   #1

I bought a camera off ebay and It sitll isnt here, its been 5 days and the tracking info says it will be here onthe 18th. It is from a camera guy in New York.

He had good reviews and nothing is fishy about him Ihave heard rumours about New York camera shops and I am wondering if someone can explain.

Do you think it wassafe to buy from this guy or should I have went to Best Buy?

Thanks
j.
jfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:42 PM   #2

No one can answer that for you. THere are thousands of folks selling items on EBay. I imagine nearly all are 100% legit. I have purchased probably 20 items from EBay in the past year, and never had a problem. These were not camera, but watches and some other sports equipment.

I doubt there is any problem with your order. Have you tried to contact the seller yet? I'd contact him/her first them contact EBay.

BTW, my personal criteria for choosing a seller is they must have 2000 sales on EBay and a 99.0 positive feedback record. That's not been a problem.

When I bought a recent camera I did not find good deals on EBay. I spent several hours researching what internet shop to use. I finally went with BH Photography. Cost a bit more than some of the others, but the service and dependability with them is tops.

Good luck!

papersniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:25 AM   #3

Well, your post is dated the 16th, and you say there is tracking info, and it says it should be delivered on the 18th, so I don't see what the concern is for that - he obviously did ship it and it's on it's way.

Regarding sellers - as you'll be told, just look carefully at their feedback ratings and the comments people have left before you bid. I can't say my standards are as high as others - so long as the person has a positive feedback rating of about 250 or so, I usually will go for it. If they have a lower feedback amount, I pay very close attention to those comments - you may find that someone has a positive feedback score of "15" only to see that everyone who left them comments have low scores such as "2" or "1" or so... this COULD mean someone is having their buddies leave feedback via faked auctions to bump up their ratings. Always read the comments and see the level of the people who are leaving them, too. I sometimes test the seller, and send them a question about the item first to see if they bother to answer me, how they respond, etc.

For higher dollar items I prefer going to a physical store so if there's anything wrong I can just take it back and not worry about shipping it back, etc.

NYC has plenty of good legit camera dealers, and yes, some slime too. You'll also find bad sellers in Miami or any other larger city where importing companies are numerous. They may be selling "gray market" cameras from foreign countries that do not carry a U.S. warranty, and they are usually run by foreigners. If you see a Canon 10D for $400 - yes, it's probably not a good legal camera. Use your common sense when reading auctions, don't be impatient, and read feedback.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:04 AM   #4

Thanks for your advice... I was just feeling a little uneasy
jfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:43 AM   #5

I have purchased a lot on ebay. Sellers guard their "postitive" scores very closely. Bad feedback will put them out of business. The bulk of all my buying has been very good but I have also used the systems ebay has in place and returned some items that were defective in some way and was only out the returned shipping cost.

Be careful if a seller states that he(she) does not know much about the product. It means that YOU have to know. Always check for a price on whatever it is from a normal retailer. I have seen listings of products that were HIGHER than retail. E-mail the seller even if it is just a simple question.

There are a lot of very nice people using ebay.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

I have purchased a lot on ebay. Sellers guard their "postitive" scores very closely. Bad feedback will put them out of business. The bulk of all my buying has been very good but I have also used the systems ebay has in place and returned some items that were defective in some way and was only out the returned shipping cost.

Be careful if a seller states that he(she) does not know much about the product. It means that YOU have to know. Always check for a price on whatever it is from a normal retailer. I have seen listings of products that were HIGHER than retail. E-mail the seller even if it is just a simple question.

There are a lot of very nice people using ebay.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:24 PM   #7

I have bought about 150 items through eBay.
Only two were no-shows.
One ($25) was from England, and he claims he shiped it.
One was a C-730 ($198 ). The guy had 2000+ feedback and had been running his eBay store for several years. He closed his store and declared bankruptcy after he got my money but before he shipped it. If I had checked his feedback comments, they had gone from mostly all positive to about 50-50 in the month or so before I ordered.

The great majority of transactions go just fine. Use common sense though. Don't buy a $4000 plasma HDTV for $400. Don't buy a big ticket item from a newly registered guy with low feedback that is mostly from buying. But if you are the kind of guy that simply cannot STAND it if you should get taken advantage of now and then, and need an absolute gurantee, you should probably say off of eBay and buy retail.

If the listing shows PayPal buyer protection and you pay via PayPal, you can file a claim for up to $200 if it is not delivered or was substantially misrepresented in the listing. You must do it within 30 days, however.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:43 PM   #8

Yes, no worries...your package should be to you tomorrow.

Also, be sure and ask seller any questions before you bid if you have any doubts.

One good sign I have found is this:

If questionasked is answered promptly, accurately, completely and with correct grammar, chances are you are dealing with a seller who values his/her customers.

Do read all the feedbacks for at least the last month or so.

I had a customer who did not pay (after numerous emails to him) until I sent him the URL for the United States Postal Inspection Service. That accomplished the "wake up call".

If, God forbid, you do have a dispute...work with user directly. Ebay though it has "systems" in place, faciliate millions of transactions each year so their service to you as a "wronged" buyer or seller will be as a third party (facilitator) to the transaction.

Caveat emptor (Buyer Beware). If it sounds too good, it is!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:47 PM   #9

Hi Folks, This is my first note on the Steve's Boards. I have 438 deals on ebay as of today. about 40 of them are things I have sold. The rest vary from a car to books and clothing . Several cell phones and camera related stuff. In those 438 deals i have only been ripped off once (1 time). I bought a cf card from a dealer in AZ who decided to skip town at that particular time. This was a few years back, before Paypal had it's protection plan available. I agree with the thrust of the comments posted so far. If you do your homework, checking on the feedback and what type of deals your seller has made, you can get a pretty good idea of whether it is a safe deal or not.

Saturday I bought a Canon 20D on ebay. The dealer sent me the tracking number for ups today and I am confident that it will show up as described by Thursday or so. With all the xmas shopping going thru UPS the service still remains very high.

Why did I buy on ebay rather than one of the on-lines or a local retailer.... Mainly for the savings it offered. The camera with the stock 18-55mm lens and usual contents of the box, plus 2 512mb cf cards went for $1375.00 shipping included. (and no sales tax). Thats a couple of hundred less than I could find thru the other methods. Since the dealer has a camera business with multiple outlets I am hoping that any service needs will be trouble free... this is a definite "IF". but I did consider it in the decision making.

For years the canon A1 and AE 1's were my standard, with several len's. I bought a Canon G3 2 ywears ago. It does great pictures for family stuff, but it has horrible shutter lag and very slow auto focus. I am anxious to be back in the major leagues with the 20D!! I also got a Sigma 28-300mm from another source. It is going to be a photo-happy Christmas for me this year.

Good luck with your Ebay auctions. It has really been a fun way to shop for me.

AL- The Mayor
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote