Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:08 PM   #1

Default Resolution vs Print Size

I have a Fujifilm 6800Zoom. What resolution should I take pictures to print good 4"x6" and 8"x10" prints
vindhya22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:14 PM   #2

A good rule is to shoot JPEGs at the settings that allow the fewest images to be stored, e.g., highest resolution and lowest compression. If you are going to shoot at lower resolution/higher compression, you should have a good reason. Memory is cheap enough now that lack of storage space shouldn't often be a good reason.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:20 AM   #3

BillD.. is right, unless there are good reasons. I was forced to take some pics during a wedding ceremony, inside a church half, way down the isle, flash not allowed and leaning on a bench. The Fuji 602z offers 800ASA at 1Mpix.

I'm glad I traded res. to get the pictures. The other good reason might be if you're using a multi-shot mode and the cam's a bit slow.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:33 PM   #4

300 ppi is the aim for good prints. 2mp for 6x4 and 3mp for 8x10.

Anything under 250 ppi can look blocky or pixelly although 200ppi will suffice for snaps where you're not too fussy.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:30 PM   #5

Default print size and PPI

I have to disagree with Steve6 about needing at least 250 ppi or it could become blocky and i think Steve who runs this site mite agree, for the simple reason when he reveiwed the Canon S9000 printer and printed a 13 by 19 inch picture which he said was stunning he used a Canon D60 camera which is 6 mega pixel, which at 13 by 19,, actually looks like it would be 12 by 18 as there appears to be a border of about 1/2 inch around picture which would still give about 160 PPI unless he resized the D60 photo to a larger size.

I printed some 7.5 by 10 inch from a Canon S100 2 mega pixel whiched looked great, printed using Qimage Pro. So I dont think 250 PPI is needed at all. More like 170 PPI with a good printer looks great, only somone with magnifing glass and knowledge in what to look for would really see that its not a film picture easily.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 4:47 AM   #6

I quickly read these posts and sense some confusion. There are 2 resolution variables, the camera and the printer. In the ideal world the cam should be the same or ideally better than the printer FOR THE SIZE OF PRINT VIEWED. However, cam output rarely maps to the printer and software arithmetic (averaging) is done on your .JPG file to fit the printer dot mapping.

Many printers (as do cameras) have interpolation modes. E.g printers may be 300dpi native, but 'synthesise' 600dpi or greater. The general rule is you can't put it back, if it wasn't there to start with! The ability of a printer to accurately register the pixel data and print colour on paper quickly, is probably more important than it's dpi spec. - so don't be fooled. A printer of lower spec. res., with the right paper and ink, could look better!

I once compared Epson print outs using a pocket microscope. White space between the dots means it's doing the best it can with minimum 'ink bleed'. More often than not, with OEM ink and paper, the dot boundaries cannot be seen = lower resolution! Higher print resolution often trades off contrast, since there are physical limits to how much ink can be put in smaller dots. Contrast is the biggest perceptible that makes prints 'look good'

So, to compare res. of cams, I'd rather use a good monitor, and this might have to be, yes, a monochrome one! Printers should be assessed separately using test files. BUT it's a flawed argument to start pairing cams and printer combinations together, unless the cam is many orders better than the printer you're testing or vice-versa.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote