Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1
Administrator

My wife has been unpackingboxes, and brought me somefilm I didn'tknow we hadlittle while ago (as well asa collection of cheap cameras I had forgot about, too). She said she found most of it in dresser drawers when packing up for our move to Savannah earlier this year.

We've got a mixture of 35mm, 126, 110, and even some disc film that needs to be processed.

I do see some sites listed in the search engines that can process all of it (with disc film processors being the hardest to find).

I'd like to have some high resolution scans, too (so I can tweak the images and print my own). I've got an HP scanner that could handle the 35mm and 126in a pinch (transparency adapter, etc.). But, the scanner resolution leaves a bit to be desired. So, I'd prefer a service with better equipment than I've got for this purpose. Also, the disc and 110 filmwould probably require a VERY good equipment designed for this purpose(those are tiny negatives).

I guess I could scan the prints if I could find a good processor to give me prints (but high rez scans of the negatives would be preferrable).

So, does anyone have any personal experience with labs that could both process and scan these film types (preferrable printing fromthe 126 film without cropping).

Of course, I'm not expecting any miracles... But, you never know, there could be some good memories captured on this film.

Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:27 PM   #2

Do you have any idea how old that film is? If we're talking five years or more, there may be nothing salvageable on it. Once film has been exposed, the image quality deteriorates quite rapidly if not processed.

Go to a reputable camera store (not Ritz, Kitz, Wolfe) and see if they can process it. If not, they may have mailers you can use to mail it to a processor.

Good luck.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:59 PM   #3
Administrator

calr wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any idea how old that film is? If we're talking five years or more, there may be nothing salvageable on it. Once film has been exposed, the image quality deteriorates quite rapidly.

Go to a reputable camera store (not Ritz, Kitz, Wolfe) and see if they can process it. If not, they may have mailers you can use to mail it to a processor.
Cal:

Looking at the "Generation Number" on the disc film, it appears to have beenfrom Oct. 1983- Oct. 1984 time frame (Generation 2). This is the only film type I've been able to decipher the date from so far.

Chances are, it'sall more than 20 years old now (I think the 126 stuff is the oldest of the film my wife found).

Rocky Mountain Film claims that they've got usable images from film as old as the early 1900's. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something on this stuff may be usable (and worth thecost and trouble of getting it processed). Again, I'm not expecting miracles with it (but hoping forsome usable prints -- even though they are likely to have a lot of color shift, etc.).

Here is what their web site says about it:

Quote:
What are the chances you'll get pictures from my film?
Quote:
The biggest factors which determine outcome are heat and moisture. If a film has been exposed to extreme heat, warm temperatures for a long time, or soaked in moisture, the chances of getting pictures is reduced, but never eliminated. If the film has been exposed properly and has been kept in a refrigerator or freezer, the chances very good (90% or better) that we will be able to get an image regardless of the age of the film. If it has been kept in a closet or drawer, chances are reduced slightly. If it has been kept in a hot attic or soaked with moisture, the chances are greatly reduced. Occasionally, fairly recent films have marginal results because they were exposed to extreme conditions. On the other hand, there is no age limit to obtaining images--we have developed films from the early 1900s and produced above-par images.

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/faq.htm#question9

My film falls into the "kept in a closet or drawer" category.

But, Rocky Mountain Film ismore expensive than most of the processors I've found so far. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience getting older film processed anywhere.

I found someone else (Blue Moon Camera) that says that they can do everything except for the disc film. They can also give me square prints from the 126 film with nocropping. They can also do prints from the disc film (just not developing -- they recommended rocky mountain film for the disc developing).

http://www.bluemooncamera.com/index.php

But,I have no experience with any of these firms.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4

I know that this is a very old post I'm replying to but Rocky Mountain is about the worst option for processing old film. There are Four other companies covering disc film processing all of which are better. They are Dwaynes photo, Process C-22, Film Rescue International, and Rapid Photo. Rocky Mountain is dreadfully slow anddo not include digital enhancement and/or CD. Niether does Dwaynes photo and they are a third the price of Rocky mountain and extremely fast. Basicly the same service faster and cheaper. Film Rescue is less expensive, price includes return,gaurantee images from the film, include digital enhancement, cd-r and prints and are a good deal faster. Rapid photo is around the same price as RM but are faster (but not as fast as Dwaynes). Process C-22 is an outstanding company but unfortunately are over-seas.

Well there's the straight dope on disc film development. Rocky Mountain though capable of doing very good work relies far too much on the fact that they're the most popular of those out there offering this service and do not do all that is possible to achieve the best possible results.

Have a good day

Clancey
clanceylufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5
Administrator

A reminder:

We do not allow commercial posts or advertising in our forums. This rule is in the confirmation e-mail that all members receive and agree to when joining.

In other words, do not "plug" your own products and services in our forums.

I have removed more than one post in this old thread from film processors doing just that (plugging their own products), including one this morning.

I can appreciate it if you want to comment on your services. But, that would not be fair to others that we enforce this rule with.

Advertising not allowed in our forums.

Thanks for understanding.

Jim C.

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Default Old Disc Film

Was wondering if there are any places in Oregon that can make prints and/or put to CD or DVD from the old disc film? I just came across at least 150 of the disc film and most of the photo prints are gone. I did see a previous post that mentioned bluemoon camera or something like that and I saw another outfit called pixmonix. I don't feel comfortable just mailing off the discs out of state and would rather drive them to an establishment that does a good job. I would hate to lose all the memories contained in the old disc films. Looking for some trustworthy word of mouth about anyones experience with their disc film reprints or putting them to CD/DVD.
Thanks.
AnneM
AnneM is offline   Reply With Quote