Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:48 PM   #1

I had a question about panormas. I always knew that you could stitch pictures horizontally to get a panorama effect but I've seen people stitch pictures horizontally and vertically to create a bigger image. Is that the same things as having more pixels then? Could stitching pictures together compensate for having a low mega-pixel camera?

thanks
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:12 PM   #2

The short answer is yes. I often take two quick shots with the camera held vertically to give me a wider angle. The two 5Mp shots stitch to about 8.5Mp.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:13 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. do you notice any distortion in the picture though? it just seems to good to be true :-)
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:59 PM   #4

There shouldn't be problems with distortion, assuming you can stitch it properly. The problem that you will have has to do with moving objects on the screen, changing lighting (eg. sun moves behind clouds by the time you take the 2nd pic), etc. In other words, the conditions between all the pics must be the same, and obviously you can't stitch a moving object (since the object would have moved off the screen by the time you took your second pic).

I bought a Canon S1 IS and I plan to use its stitching feature (you don't really need the camera to have it; you just need software) to make up for its 3 megapixels. I'm just doing it for fun but it will definitely let me print big pics if I wanted to (although it will be too expensive for me). I just got the camera recently so I haven't tried it fully but the S1 IS can shoot horizontally, vertically, and 2x2 (of course, you don't need a camera to have this built-in; you can do it manually and do it in software too).

Going along your line of thinking, someone by the name of Max Lyons has actually managed to create the biggest stitched image in the world (not throughly verified though). He actually managed to create a 1 GIGAPIXEL (!!!!) image :O Check it out:

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm

It's fun reading and it's cool. I congratulate Max on his achievement :|

I just got my camera yesterday, and one of the things I'm looking forward to is stitching images... might be boring to some but it's fun

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:14 PM   #5

No distortion. You can't shoot water with waves because the waves don't line up and you see a line where they stitched. I don't have problems with most subjects unless there is a lot of random movement. Group shots even work fine if you tell everyone you are taking two shots and don't try to stitch over a face.

I still have these up on pbase from another discussion. One is a 38mm shot (the widest that camera will go) and the second is two shots stitched to get a wider angle. The original stitch is about 8.5 Mp from a 5Mp camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:12 PM   #6

Go to Max's site it is unbelievable. Hesells a program that stitches the photos together that works well. It will take some learning but it is worth it. There is a 30 day free trial to test it out first.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote