Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1

Can anyone explain exactly how this feature works? Does it allow you to skip pushing the shutter half way? Does it make the camera more responsive? Is it a useful feature? I've read a manual on the Panasonic website, and that didn't help much. Thanks for any answers.

wishkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:46 AM   #2

wishkc wrote:
Quote:
I didn't realize the FZ3 has continuous autofocus. Exactly what does that mean?
It means that thebatteriesdie very quickly.

It also means that the camera is continuously focussing automatically at whatever the focus point is aimed at. No need to half-press the shutter button to focus. Personally, I find this to be a royal pain. I can see where it might be useful to track a bird in flight, or something similar, but to use itas ageneral focus is maddening.

And, yes, it does mean that the life of your batteries will be cut short by a noticeable degree.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:08 PM   #3

So, would it be helpful when taking photos of little children? Half the time I miss the picture because it takes so long. Does it cut the time considerably from "push the button" to photo taken?

Anyone out there use it a lot? More input?
wishkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:56 PM   #4

Yes, if the kids are in motion it should help take pictures of kids.

Don't expect miracles, though. It will do better than not using it, but you'll still miss some pictures.

Most manuals recommend NOT using it when the subject isn't moving. So be aware what mode you are in and use the proper one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 3:50 AM   #5

It depends what the kids are doing - but kids tend to move fairly quickly, and they'd probably be moving in and out of focus range faster than the continuous focus can focus.

Continuous focus is better for slow moving, predictable subjects - like a bird in flight, a moving car, etc.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote