Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:28 PM   #1

I picked up a autofocus 35mm 1:3.8 at a garage sale, what kind of film does such a camera take? Also how do you load the film in this particular type of camera? Does the film wind on its own? I have noticed that there is a little mechanical wheel inside does does that have to be turned manually by me? If it does which direction do I have to turn it?

Thanks!
photodude1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:39 PM   #2
Administrator

Hmmmmm....

Well, you're probably looking at the lens itself. It's probably a fixed focal length (non zoom) lens, with a focal length of 35mm, and an aperture of f/3.8 if I had to guess.

But, this doesn't guarantee that it's a 35mm camera (type of film used). ;-)

Chances are, it is (but it could be something else).

Without more information on the camera (i.e.,manufacturer and model number), or seeing a photo of the camera and it's controls, there is no way that anyone could accurately answer your questions.Even with this information, if it's not a well known model, someonemay need to look at it to tell more about it. There are many, many makes and models of cameras, and there are many differences between them.

I hope you didn't spend too much for it without knowing what it is.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:42 PM   #3

I don't know if it's much more help but it also has written on it that it is a DX 35, is that anymore help?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:47 PM   #4
Administrator

Nope -- not to me.

Is there no Manufacturer name on it anywhere?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:57 PM   #5

I believe it's a Black's camera, that's the only manufacturer name on it that I can see.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:59 PM   #6
Administrator

Look --

Since it says Autofocus, it should have a battery compartment somewhere that you could put new batteries in and try it to see if it may work. My guess is that it is probably a 35mm camera.

Most models load in a similar fashion (film goes on left side of body, pull out leader until it's just over the sprockets on the wheel on the other side, close cover and press shutter button so that it winds to the first frame, or use a manual film advance to accomplish the same thing if it doesn't have autowind).

If it's a 35mm camera andappears to be in good shape, you could take it down to almost any camera store and they could show you how to load and use it. But, it may or may not producegood results (if it actually works). This will depend on the optical quality of the lens, the condition of the shutter mechanism, andthe camera's metering accuracy (assuming that it can even vary the shutter speed and/or aperture).

Without knowing more about it, it's hard to tell you anything that would help much.