Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Poster Size & How do I get there?

What can I do to get larger size poster, 11 x 14 or better from a 35 mm negative? I try to scan and load up images to 300 dpi in Photoshop, but it isn't easy. The printer I have is also only for 8x10 format and I can't check the final sharpness. I can print only a part of the enlarged photo image to check it.
Is it a fact that you must have a large format camera for this or is there some other alternative. I was considering digital SLR but for 11 x14 poster you'll need 6.0 MB anyway and I'm not sure if this is a better way to go. From what I read here it is better to stick to film.
I also have a medium size oldie. It is a "Meopta Flexaret VI" vaste level focusing twin lens 2x2 format. I love this camera, but most slide scanners do not accept this negative size. Besides, most of my film was shot with various 35 mm SLR. Any hints?

Thank you Michael.
Hexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:55 AM   #2

Kinkos can do it, not sure how to set this up with your printer and computer. Maybe there is software for it?
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:00 AM   #3

Here's some help, and some very rough 'rithmetic. If 300dpi is really what you want to output, this is BIG resource. A 14Mpix image would approx. translate transparently to 11x14. at 300dpi and take a long time!

In file handling/ editing terms your pc will be dealing with BIG files (200Mb?) Work back to your image size, take the 14Mpix rough estimate and you will need to scan to cropped negative area 4200pix/dots X 3300 pix/dots. I'm not sure if this is consumer Epson scanner with film adaptor stuff!

So perhaps your 300dpi colour output is a bit optimistic, and you could settle for less - say 100 - 150dpi?

The basis of your question is film or digicam? So, for what you can afford, can you scan a film negative accurately, at higher resolution than you could produce from todays cams? Don't forget, images from cams can be 'stitched' - but you're still talking big files. Compression doesn't help, 'cos the files will still be big in the pc- and double it if you're editing!.

A couple of things you could try. start with big fine grain negs (2_1/4), or try scanning a very clean sharp matte 6X4 print. BUT power pc and scanner still needed.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 2:11 AM   #4

I din't mind the 200 or 300 dpi test files. Ihave a P4 with 128MB
Geeforce 3 video card and it can handle it. I burn it to CD's anyaway. I can make a 120 MB files or 50 MB BMP's...
I think the solution is probably scanning the 4x6 photographs and that way I could get about 18 MB BMP files. Corrections can be done later.

I guess I will find out as Im doing some more tests now. I have had two posters done at 24" x 36" and it was a waste of time and money. 35mm can't come close to the bigger formats. Not to bad though if you want to print these images on canvas. It wouldl hide some of the edges.

Is Kinkos reasonable for poster printing?

Thanks for your help, Michael.
Hexen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:43 AM   #5

Sounds like you need to do some experimenting. Incidentally, Re my points about power pc and resources. I've got a 40Ghz hard drive, but the PC still has to process the uncompressed files in memory for editing (at least 2 copies) and printing. So at least half a gig or more of fast ram is probably essential, and your printer will be the bottleneck in speed and time. Your graphics card plays no part when you're hard copy printing - it's only driving the screen!.

From the rough 'rithmetic I did, your uncompressed BMP file will need to be about 100MB not 18, irrespective of whether it's a neg., enlargement, or cam file. Scanning 6 X 4 prints just means you can get more res from a scanner - if the print quality is up to it!

I'm not familiar with Kinkos - others might be able to help. Picking up what you said, you could try textured or embossed paper to hide the lack of res. outputing say 100-150dpi - Let forum members know how you get on!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote