Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2002, 2:11 AM   #1

Default Which cameras are good?

I don't know what to get nowndays... All the options are so confusing... But here is generally what I need I need a Camera that does Video + audio at least 2 min long hopefully longer Good picture quality at nightime at partys,clubs etc and fast sports like sequences and it has to be in a size that can fit into my pocket

The 2 that I have my Eye out for are the canon S30 and S230 from the specs of S30 it has alot of preset modes and full manual but S230 has alot of the new imaging technologys and no full manual...

A Salesmen ive been to said that canon sucks at low light/complete darkness is that true?

What I'm really wishing for is an updated S30 that incorperates all the new features that S230 has...

and just two questions here can the S230 do everythin an S30 can but its just doesnt have the convience of the spin dial and if i left everything in AUTO focus will it be able to take any type of picture i wish like action slow dim lighted bright and still turn out good because auto depends totally on how smart the digital cameras processor is right?

Thanks for the help
DrifterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 9:25 AM   #2

2 min video and audio out of digital camera. I believe you are needing to purchase a digital camcorder. Digital cameras in the video mode normally run about 30 secs. The audio quality is tolerable but not great. In quick time movie mode, the digital cameras do not handle low light very well. The quick time movie mode is not designed to replace a camcorder.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 8:48 PM   #3

Oh I know I know... I'm going to use the Camera for pictures mostly but everyonce in a while there maybe a fun moment I would like to record

So... does the S230 have better picture quality or S30? (overall)

and which one would you buy? whY?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:36 PM   #4

What you're looking for is probably not available completely, so you'll have to compromise. The little Canons aren't going to get you very good sports shots unless you're standing in the middle of the event. Otherwise the athletes will look like ants. You'll need quite a bit of zoom to get good shots from the sidelines. That gets you out of the pocket size. The smallest camera with a lot of zoom is the Olynmpus C-730, with 10x zoom (plenty). It's small but won't fit in your Levis. Might fit in a small case on your belt. It's quite a nice all around camera, but in very low light you'd need to use manual focus by guessing the distance to the subject and then you'd also be guessing the framing of the shot because the EVF (electronic viewfinder) doesn't work well in low light. Might work well enough for clubs though. It also has a shutter lag time that would make it hard to use for action shots without prefocussing and/or burst mode shots, which is limiting, but it can be done for some kinds of shots.

The HP 850 has 8x zoom and is a little larger than the 730, but it has good low light abilities for clubs. Probably not a great action camera in terms of shutter lag, but I don't know about prefocus lag. The Fuji S602 is a 6x camera that's a little larger still, but has great video capabilities--true VGA at 30 fps for as long as your memory will store. I've seen good club shots from that camera, but it doesn't have the low-light focus assist or the stepped up EVF the HP has. It's OK for some action shots with careful planning.

If the size is more important than the zoom, and you want to see how well the Canons (and other cameras) do in low light, try the reviews at imaging-resource.com. The only review for the 230 I know of is Steve's, which doesn't include lowlight shots, but it does mention the focus assist lamp. That camera only has 2x zoom, you know. "Digital zoom," by the way, isn't worth having. It just interpolates and expands your shot, leaving poor quality results. Read around in this and other sites to learn more about your options. Here's a list of reviews available (always a few days out of date):

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_V...ras/alpha.html

Good luck.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 7:40 PM   #5

have you checked this out?
http://www.canon.com.au/news/story_555.html
its the CANON POWERSHOT S45...!!!

I wonder when it'll come out!!!
It has everything hopefully they'll come out with a S35 version too!!!