Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:37 AM   #1

I understand the evolution of SLR for film cameras: see exactly what the film sees, change lenses without changing viewfinders, etc. The mirror and associated mechanisms just had to be tolerated. But with digital, one can see exactly what the sensor(film) sees without the mirror, etc. So why continue with the mechanical junk?
rondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:18 AM   #2

1. Interchangable lenses. A 10x zoom lens is a compromise, and nobody seems to be able to do it without some residual chromatic aberation and edge softness. Also, "stick on the front" conversion lenses will never be as good as a true prime wide angle or telephoto lens. You can get exactly the lens you need, optimized for the work you are doing, instead of being stuck with one that does everything pretty good, but nothing excellently.

2. Manual focusing is very difficult to do accurately in an electronic viewfinder because the pixel resolution is too low.

3. Flash photography in low light conditions is almost impossible when it is too dark for autofocus to work, and you can't even see the image in the evf with the available light.

segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:54 AM   #3

Even if you keptinterchangeble lenses and went with an EVF instead of the current mirror system. The cost of makingan EVFoptically equivalent to the current mirror system used inSLRs would be prohibitive. The current EVF designs would have to double or triple their resolution, doubleframe rates, and the most costly improvement, become as sensitive to changing light conditionsas the human eye.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4

Good answers, folks. I always enjoy being enlightened, especially as you have done it with no derogatory remarks.
After reading segbert's reply, I began to think that the cost of a high resolution and image intensified display might be more costly than the mirror system which has been perfected over the years.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:08 PM   #5

Rondon, you might find this link informative. I learned a lot about view finders from this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-03-16.shtml

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:35 PM   #6

I would expect that in a few years we WILL have interchangable lens "SLR"s with a 3-4 megapixel EVF and superb light sensitivity, that perform as well, if not better, than today's mirror SLRs. But the technology isn't there yet.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:09 PM   #7

segbert wrote:
Quote:
I would expect that in a few years we WILL have interchangable lens "SLR"s with a 3-4 megapixel EVF and superb light sensitivity, that perform as well, if not better, than today's mirror SLRs. But the technology isn't there yet.

I hope you are right. EVFs have a lot of advantages if they can be made with better resolution and quality. I haven't used the A2, but it seems to be a step in the right direction. Still nothing near the quality needed to replace the SLR viewfinder though.

You can usually tell if a setting isn't right through the EVF. If the picture looks right it usually is. But you can't judge the focus like you can with a SLR. And things just look generally crappy. The EVF can display information like flex focus points and a histogram, along with all of your settings. I wish I could get all that in a viewfinder with something near the quality of a SLR.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:34 PM   #8

Interesting thought, Slipe. Projecting the info onto the SLR viewfinder, as is done in "heads up displays" in some planes and cars, would not be difficult. It will probably be a race to see which method proves less expensive.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:30 PM   #9

Very nice answers that's for sure. I must say though, that if one doesn't understand something, especially while asking a question about something, then it doesn't seem quite appropriate to call something 'mechanical junk'. This is just a friendly comment.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:37 AM   #10

You're right, Kenny. I did not intend "junk" to be pejorative. I've been in the electronic design business for many years, and anytime we could replace mechanical devices with electronic ones (mech. relays with Solid State relays, for instance) we did. In that context "junk" was just a collective for all the mechanical devices that in our biased view should be replaced.