Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:09 AM   #1

I am confused after reading all the specs on the different camers. First let me start by saying that I own two dig. cams. One a 5 year old Fuji 1400 and a newer Medion. The fuji has metered flash on macro but you can't see anything in the LCD when it is somewhat dark and the Medion lcd lightens right up in dark situations (sp) but turns off the flash in Macro. I don't need over 3 mg. for what I do but I want to be able to see what I am shooting in low lite and I want a flash in Macro. Do the newer cams. all have these features ?? When I read the specs. I guess I don't know what I am looking for to find this out. I would like to stay around $200.00 to $250.00.Any help would be helpful.

Dave
TopWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:33 PM   #2

Did I ask a dumb question or am I in the wrong forum.

Dave
TopWop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:40 PM   #3
Administrator

Dave:

Most modern digital cameras have a macro mode, and most can work with flash. However, depending on what you're taking photos of, and how close you need to be, the flash can cause a problem (overexposure and/or reflections). There can also be a big difference in macro capabilities (how close you can get, the size of the object it takes to fill the frame, etc.).

In the reviews here, you'll see a conclusion section for each model. That's where you'll usually see comments on how well the flash throttles down at closer ranges (but, this doesn't assume that you're trying to "fill the frame" with a dime, either).;-)

You'lloften see some comments on the LCD usability in lower light, too (if it gains up or not).

I'd give users a better idea of what you're trying to take photos of, and what the photos will be used for (what size prints, or if on screen viewing only, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:06 PM   #4

Another, related problem, with macro and flash is that the flash might not be pointing at the subject when the subject is that close.

To get around this you can use a good flashlight, or something to reflect the flash towards the subject.

Low light shooting is another problem. It requires a good low fstop lens. Some digicams have this, others don't. You want f2.8 or better. Low light is hard because even when shooting at f2.8 you might still find that you aren't getting the shutter speed you need. If not, then higher ISO setting might help, but those quickly produce a bad image because of too much noise. So look at what the higher ISO values do to the image in sample pictures in the reviews.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote