Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:53 AM   #1

Please i would like your help about the performance of these 2 cameras in pictures that will involve for example cars,animals,kids,objects that move(i dont want blurry pics!)

I also want to take pictures of dark + indoor places ( partys , clubs , etc )

The video mode also has to be as good as possible in dark situations , i would like your recommendations, thanks.
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2

Well, I don't know about the sony. But canon cameras are kind of known to be good in low light conditions. One of my friends used a canon S40 in antarctica 2 years in a row. Some of the places there are very dark and low light, and I was very surprised about how that camera could take very good photos in low light...not to mention that it also had to work in very cold temperatures!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:46 AM   #3

If you look under the Sony forum you will see I have posted before about my P150. Quite frankly, iy takes good pictures outdoors butindoors it is worse than useless. Many shots are overexposed, but the worst is the blurring, as if the sensor is not setting the shutter speed fast enough. I have now taken over 500 pictures with the camera, including three indoor events, and now the camera resides in the glovebox of my car. Oh how I wish I had back my Olympus 5060 (stolen)which was absolutely perfect in any situation, and had a wide angle lens as well. I know it was bigger and that I bought the Sony as a pocket sized replacement (I also have a D70SLR) but it is useless. Looking around, I believe the Canon S70 is better anyway - manual control and a wide angle lens which is so useful indoors.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

The SD300 widest aperture is f2.8 at wide and f4.9 at telephoto. The P150 is f2.8 & f5.4 respectively. There isn't much to choose between them for low light – you can take pictures only within the flash range indoors unless you use a tripod. The SD300 flash is limited to 6.6 feet at telephoto and the P150 to 8.3 feet. The P150 is probably better than most small cameras, but 8.3 feet still isn't very far in telephoto.

I would give the P150 an edge for your use just based on the flash. But neither camera is a good low light performer for handheld shots without a flash. About the only pocket camera that comes close is the Panasonic FX7 with stabilization, which gives up to a 3 f-stop advantage handheld. But the flash isn't any better (probably not as good as the P150) and stabilization doesn't help for subject movement – although the excellent burst mode gives a better shot at getting a subject with low movement. It has no optical finder or manual exposure modes, the movies are small and the lens seems a little slower. Other than stabilization & Mega Burst there isn't much to recommend it IMO.

The SD300 & P150 both focus very well in low light and take excellent night shots on a tripod. But neither would be my choice to take to a club unless I shot pictures only of people at my table. The cameras are smart enough to open the lens all the way to maximize shutter speed as the light decreases, there just isn't enough light to handhold without the flash indoors.

It is hard to find a small camera with good low light focus and a powerful flash. I think you have to go to a larger camera for that. You also have to go larger to get a faster lens. Probably the smallest thing you can find that will work moderately well in the situations you want to use it in are the Canon G series or maybe the Oly 5050. F2 and f1.7 lenses respectively and decent flash range, with the Canons being extremely good.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:58 PM   #5

cameranserai : did u try manually todo some experiments with ur camera in order to have better exposure?

what ISO did u use in ur pics?maybe u used very low ISO ?

what do u mean by telling that the shutter speed was not set fast enough ? i cant understand this!

IS this a bug of the camera or u just have to change aperture/shutter speed/Iso in order to have better low light pics ?
george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:01 AM   #6

I tried different settings, and find that - sometimes and I don't know when - there will be a problem. For example, I was researching a hotel for a club and carefully took some indoor shots of the restaurant, pool and other facilities, taking care even to place the camera on a table etc. Still the same result, blurred photos, as if the shutter speed had changed on it's own.At one party, just using auto, about half were good and half bad. No rhyme nor reason why, and I just can't understand it at all. Please don't think I haven't tried, I have. I have Nikons F90X and D70 so know my way around a camera but this has me stumped. I am working in Arizona in January so will look for a replacement then - much cheaper than in Europe with the dollar so low, and my daughter can have this one. Incidentally, even if you still like the P150, I would advise the P100 unless you are planning A3 size blow ups. Any 5mp camera is good to A4 size, and much cheaper. I bought 7mp for journalistic reasons looking at the best image quality, or so I thought.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:52 AM   #7
Administrator

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I tried different settings, and find that - sometimes and I don't know when - there will be a problem. For example, I was researching a hotel for a club and carefully took some indoor shots of the restaurant, pool and other facilities, taking care even to place the camera on a table etc.
You may want to try changing it toCenter AFversus multi-AF focusing, making sure you've got focus lock prior to the shot. I've heard others mention that the multi-AF tends to select a subject other than your intended target at times with some of the subcompact Sony models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote