Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:41 AM   #1

Coming from a film photography background, I'm exploring digital cameras.

How accurateis the LCD display, meaning how well does it generally resemble the pictures the camera takes? Of course, for lighting, if you're using flash sources, it won'tbe able topredict the affect of those lights beforehand. I'm referring mainly to closeups (of a shirt button, eg.), depth of fields, and zoom.How accurately canLCD displays render those things? In particular, high end cameras like Digital Rebel, 10D.
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:35 AM   #2
Administrator

TomSawyer wrote:
Quote:
Coming from a film photography background, I'm exploring digital cameras.

How accurateis the LCD display, meaning how well does it generally resemble the pictures the camera takes?
This tends to vary between models. As a general rule, they are not very accurate from a color and exposure perspective. Sometimes as photo can look fine on the LCD, and be underexposed (or have a color cast from incorrect white balance) when you look at it later on a PC.

Some are much better than others, and many have the ability to magnify the image so that you can see fine details. This does make them very handy for checking for blown highlights (to a point), although many models also have a histogram for this purpose. Some can also be useful (again, to a point) for checking for accurate focus. Of course, checking for accurate composition is easy with most.

Resolution tends to vary between LCD Displays (as well as the display size). The amount of magnification you have available during playback also varies (some may be 4x, some may be 12x).

Quote:
Of course, for lighting, if you're using flash sources, it won'tbe able topredict the affect of those lights beforehand. I'm referring mainly to closeups (of a shirt button, eg.), depth of fields, and zoom.How accurately canLCD displays render those things? In particular, high end cameras like Digital Rebel, 10D.
I can't tell if you're talking about when taking a photo, or when viewing a photo that's already been taken. The LCD on a DSLR is only used for playback (viewing a photo that has already been taken). DSLR models use the same mirror/viewfinder system a 35mm SLR model uses for taking a photo. You do not have a live feed to the LCD, since the mirror and shutterare the way of the sensor (just like your film is not exposed to light in a film camera).

Only non-DSLR models have a live feed, since their sensors are designed for this purpose, and use a combination of electronic and mechanical shutters.

For playback purposes, I'd try a demo model out in a store and see what you think. Most have the ability to zoom in to some extent to help see details when viewinga recently captured photo.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:16 PM   #3

The review screen is pretty small, but does let you check the framing. I use the "instant replay" on my Canon EOS 20D to look at the histogram. This lets me change the exposure and shoot again if necessary.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:04 PM   #4

most of the time when i chimp (use the lcd screen on camera), im not checking colors, or white balance, or exposure, i am checking composition....the other seatings have been set useing a light meter, and gray card.....

as far as rendering colors, i would say it depends on models, and manufacatures....

on high end camera like the 1ds markII (the rebal is not very "high end" nor is the 10d) i would say they would have a very good screen....as opposed to a $100 digicam....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:38 PM   #5

One thing that I found with my 10D is that I had to reduce the brightness to make it more closer to accurate than the default. This makes it a closer match to what I see on my computer screen.

Yes, it can be harder to use some times, but then I know the picture wouldn't have come out either.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote