Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:57 PM   #1

Default Disappointment in digital cameras owned- please advise!

Over the past few months, I have tried out the following cameras and have been disappointed with almost all of them.

2 MP:
Minolta Dimage X: horrible night shots! completely blurry
Nikon 2500: most pictures lack sharpness
Canon Powershot 330: ok image quality, but terrible grainy LCD screen

3MP:
Fujifilm F601z: broke down all of the sudden, completely stuck in VGA mode, sent for a repair
Fujifilm F602z: very responsive camera, nicely constructed, but it takes a long time to save 6mp pictures

4MP:
Pentax 430RS: poor pictures in low light conditions
Canon S40: Pictures are not sharp enough, disappointing outdoor pictures in low light condition
Sony DSC-p9: terrible pictures overall, worse than most 2MP cams
Minolta F100: good outdoor pictures, but disappointing performance in low light conditions too, the colors seem a little "artificial" when printed out.
Nikon Coolpix 4500: good, realistic pictures but it's the lag time is huge and the camera is very difficult to operate, menu system too complicated
Kodak LS 443: well saturated photos, but LCD and overall construction is really bad, the camera is really slow too.

------After all this, can someone suggest a camera that will suit my need, a great camera that is not too troublesome to operate, has a great lens, zoom, excellent image quality for prints, good performance in low light conditions?

-----I am willing to spend 1500 for TWO excellent cameras
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:17 PM   #2

Quote:
After all this, can someone suggest a camera that will suit my need, a great camera that is not too troublesome to operate, has a great lens, zoom, excellent image quality for prints, good performance in low light conditions? .
You might want to try an Olympus 2100 uz.
It has the features you are looking for and it's
got a 10X stabilised zoom lens.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:05 AM   #3

I use a C-2100 too, and I love it!

Now with your night shots, are you using a tripod and you using a long exposure time? To get clear shots you will need a tripod. And most night time pictures will require a longer exposure time. I've gotten great results this way.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:39 AM   #4

The C4040 is a good low light camera, see Steve's review. I love mine.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:38 AM   #5

If you'll be happy with the 3x zoom that several models you tried have, then look at the Olympus C-4000. It's an excellent all around camera (even better image quality overall than the fine 4040, I'd say) at a great price and does quite well in low light and at night. Check out Steve's review and also the review at imaging-resource.com, aming others. It's the best deal I know of.

On the Fuji S602, you shouldn't bother with the 6MP files, since they're interpolations that give you no advantage over the 3MP files. That's a pretty nice camera, but the low light capabilities are complicated by the EVF.

For best low light performance with some cameras you need to adjust the white balance and possibly other settings. On some you can save the settings you like best for low light and recall them quickly. (The Olympus cameras mentioned here allow that in the "my modes.")

If you want more zoom, check out the new Olympus C-730, which is a fairly full-featured 10x camera with good quality shots overall, though with a little more noise than usual in some, or the 8x HP 850, which has more limited controls and color fringing in high contrast shots. The HP has a focus assist light and a stepped-up EVF for good low light performance. You give up some quality in getting such a great amount of zoom in tis price range, but there's no substiitute for zoom if you need it.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:25 AM   #6

I'm new to this forum. I really appreciate the many replies I've rec'd.

Is there any problems with Oly E-10/20? I've gotten very little feedback on it. Are there somethings I should know about when considering this camera. I looked at the Dimage7 and the feel of the camera was not near the E-10. THe E-10 felt (to me) like a peice of equipment and the Dimage didn't.

The Oly E-10 is heavy and large, but I kind of like that.

BUT if these other camera are better, I rather have the photo quality with the larger zoom range.

I originally liked the Dimage 7 because of it's wide range zoom. When I picked it up in a store and felt it, I was disappointed.

Didn't intend to insult any owners of the Dimage. I may end up being one of them. :&lt

Again Thanks,
Danny Ayo
DanAyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:03 PM   #7

Danny,

I've heard good things about the cameras you mention. If you don't get much response here, try also posting at the dpreview.com forums. The Olympus Talk Forum there is very active and includes several E10/20 owners.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:34 AM   #8
lg

Here's another vote for the C-2100. For focusing in low light conditions, it has a focus assist lamp that will allow you to take properly focused and exposed pictures, even in total darkness!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 12:47 PM   #9

Thank you all.... I learn a lot too...
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 12:55 PM   #10

Default Olympus 2100uz?

Is the image quality limited by its 2MP resolution? I know this camera used to be top-notch, but how well does it compare to newer models such as the G2, S602z, 7hi and f717?
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote