Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:34 PM   #11
Administrator

hedwards wrote:
Quote:
If it was floppies i am not at all surprised. I believe i was talking about hard disks. Floppies are probably the most unreliable storage medium.
Yes, I know you were talking about hard drives... I couldn't resist telling the story, though. I'll never forget that one (all of the floppies ruined by a cordless screwdriver). ;-)

But, given the upgrades we're probably making to Airport Security, I would personally heed HP's warnings about asking my camera to be hand checked. I imagine that a lot of the screening devices have been (or are in the process of being) upgraded since 9/11. So, they may be using more powerful x-rays, etc., in some locations.

Doing some digging around, I came up with an article where the author got letters from users indicating that their cards died. Here's a quote from it:

Quote:
The digital camera and memory card industries agree that memory cards--and the pictures stored on them--are 100 percent safe from damage by metal detectors in airports. And I generally stand by that assessment, since I've flown with my digital camera dozens of times with no ill effects.

But I'm slowly changing my opinion on this one. Recently, a number of PC World readers have sent me letters complaining that their cards have seemed to die after passing through airport screening systems, which include both metal detectors and X-ray machines.
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,117138,00.asp

Here is a quote from a page on JASC Software's web site I found that was interesting (but it's a promo page trying to sell image recovery software, too):

Quote:
Airport X-Ray
If the memory card is in your camera, when it goes through the x-ray machine, the card can become unusable. The sign may say it's safe, but LC-Technology gets calls from at least ten people every week who have lost their pictures from the airport x-ray. Either checked baggage or on the conveyor, x-rays are tough on digital cameras and cards. Take your memory card out of the camera and keep it in your pocket when going through security.

http://deals.jasc.com/newsletter/photorecoveryPromo.asp

Kodak says this:

Quote:
It is not certain how the newer security screening devices will affect your camera or the memory cards. For this reason, it is best to request that these items be hand inspected to avoid any possibility of damage to the images they contain.
http://faqs.kodak.com/Digital_Camera..._74_15797.shtm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:09 AM   #12

Interesting Jim, i will have to look into the x-ray strength, but there is no need for them to do it other than scare the public. However i don't think they do, considering that my uv filter seemed to have thwarted them on the first pass.

I do have to say that public safety is one thing, but a false sense of security is what we have. Anyone who claims to provide certainty only provides a negative outcome.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:33 PM   #13

Though it does not address protecting thecamera, there are some tips at the following page for making sure you do not loose your prints.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

I think you may have more of a problem with thieves, watch your equipment and travel safely.
Michael1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:48 PM   #14

I think i will stop replying after this.:?
You are right about thieves Michael, I personally take that aspect for granted, i always watch my gear and keep it with me in public places. This would be a second good argument for backing up to cd or hard disk before travel. Equipment can be replaced photos generally can't. :G This is one of the weird times when in certain cases a 10,000 dollar camera is of secondary concern to the images. Not that i have any shots worth that much but i _could_ at some point.
(edit) Not to offend people, but nuking peoples "seed" may be president Quixote's plan for keeping unwanted pregnancies down.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:40 AM   #15

I'm repeating some of what's been said, to condense the most important:

As has been said, make all the camera gear "carry on". Don't let it out of your site.

Yes, you should keep the memory card(s) in your pocket, so you can put it in the bowl as you pass through along with your keys, etc. If the 20D gives you the small plastic protective cases for the Compact flash card you should use it, and check around at camera shops for more - they come in handy. Via my web site I HAVE heard people say their cards were damaged by Xray machines when they were in luggage (as those Xrays I guess now are stronger) but so far I haven't heard about them getting damaged in the check-thru area, though I'm sure there's a "chance" of anything happening.

I guess another thing to ask though, is are you taking this on a simple family visit? If so, do you REALLY want to take the 20D and full gear, or might taking a simple digital point and shoot be more convenient or realistic?

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:01 PM   #16

calr wrote:
Quote:
BTW, if Fedex and UPS ever merge, do you know what the name of the new company will be? FEDUP!
lol hehe :G
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:01 PM   #17

Just flew out of state last weekend. I kept my camera as "carry on" so it wasn't out of my sight. I took only enough memory for my purpose. I left about half of it at home.Sometimes that isn't an option. I removed the memory case before going through security and checked it through with my keys and wallet.

We did have a notice in the one bag we checked that it had been randomly opened and inspected. Everything was fine but I would never risk "checking" any kind of camera equipment regardless of the cost.

Good luck!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:38 PM   #18

Especially with the gorillaz that toss the luggage around.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:17 AM   #19

On my reecent trip to Sweden, I had my film/SD cards/USB flash drives in a ziploc plastic bag and had it hand inpected in Boston...however, when I was attempting todo same in Stockholm, they said it ALL had to go thru x-ray...NO hand inspections of anything...even film...(the way they hand inspect film is toPULL it out of the can! YIKES!)...so tookmy chances on X-ray...no problems....
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:23 AM   #20
Administrator

Steve published this story on the Breaking News Page, claiming that Airport X-Rays are safe for digital camera media:

http://www.i3a.org/pr_12_15_04.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote