Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:03 PM   #1

OK, so I just forked out a butt-load of cash for a 20D and a bunch of 'stuff' to go with it (lenses, memroy, etc...). I'm sure this is way too much camera for me right now, but hopefully I will learn and grow with it. I haven't even received the camera yet (should be here tomorrow (12-2-04)), and I'm already worried about stuff.

We will be flying cross-country this christmas (along with 10 billion other people), and I of course intend to take my new toy. What do I need to avoid so my new investment is not ruined? Will the metal detector thingy ruin my camera/lenses/film/genitals? Should I keep the memory card separate or keep it in the camera?

I'm a bit nervous about taking $2500 and flushing it down the toilet after 1 month.

Thanks for the help in advance...

Matthew
MatthewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:30 PM   #2

I don't know about your genitals, but the machines at the airport will not harm your digital equipment or images. I recommend carrying your gear as carry-on rather than checking it just to prevent theft. If you are planning on taking a tripod, check with the airline to see if it can be carried on board. It might be considerred a potential weapon. If you need the tripod, see if it will fit inside your checked luggage. If not and you absolutely have to have it, consider sending it UPS or Fedex ahead of time so it is there when you arrive.

Your memory cards are safe in or out of the camera.

BTW, if Fedex and UPS ever merge, do you know what the name of the new company will be? FEDUP!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:35 PM   #3
Administrator

This is a controversial subject. Users that travel a lot will tell you that they've never had a problem (although I do recall seeing a couple of posts a long time back from users that said that their cameras developed astuck pixel after a flight). But, it's probably just a coincidence.

However, HP did publish a newsletter a while back warning peoplethat X-rays and Metal Detectors at Airports could cause problems with both flash memory and camera firmware. So, it generated some hot debates on the topic.

Here is a page on HP's web site that has the same info they published in a newsletter:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=buy00498

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4

Matthew,

I've flown with me 10D and there were no problems encountered as a result of going through the xray machines. I'd leave a card in the camera, in case you're asked to take a photo to prove you have a real camera and not a disguised bomb. If you are shooting film, you can ask the guards to hand inspect your bags to avoid sending the film through the xray machines. Word to to wise don't create a scene if your request is turned down. Digital equipment, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good shooting (pictures) :-) Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:40 PM   #5

I didn't see any problems traveling last week. On the way home they did need to x-ray it twice though. I haven't seen any problems yet. Though it is probably to early to say this may be in with the do not use magnetic screwdrivers on hard disks or that components in computers are extremely sensitive to static electricity myths. Personally i would say that HP is trying to cover the rear. As always though keep a backup just in case.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:50 PM   #6
Administrator

hedwards wrote:
Quote:
Though it is probably to early to say this may be in with the do not use magnetic screwdrivers on hard disks or that components in computers are extremely sensitive to static electricity myths.
Actually, some years back, a friend of mine was taking apart his PC with an off brand powered (cordless) screwdriver (the rechargeble type). Well, he had a stack of floppy discs with lots of important applications and data on top of his PC when he was removing the screws from the back. They were wiped "clean as a whistle". :-)

Apparently, his off brand screwdrivergenerated a powerful eletromagnetic field, andit made a very gooddisc eraser (much to his shock and dismay).

I tried the same thing at home with a name brand cordless screwdriver later, and the magnets in it were not powerful enough to erase a floppy I tested with.

But, sometimes there can be some truth to the "myths".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:30 PM   #7

ive flown with a camnera, lenses, cards, and a bunch of other stuff, and haven had the slightest problem, i do however get a lot of people that decide to do a hand check after they see a set of pocketwizards on the screen, they seem to resembile a bomb detenator.....

p.s. calr, lol on the fedex thing
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:49 PM   #8

If it was floppies i am not at all surprised. I believe i was talking about hard disks. Floppies are probably the most unreliable storage medium(Well perhaps zip disks are worse). It takes enough magnetism to pull the iron out of your blood, Can't find a source, but the amount of magnetism need is definately more than something you will find laying around your house.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:52 PM   #9

I took my camera out, and gave to it the people on the gate to check, and take round so it never went through any metal decters.

This was for boarding an international ferry rather than a airline, so I don't know if all airlines would let you do this.
pj9875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:24 PM   #10

I'd be more worried about carrying my equipment arround and damaging it. I got a Pelican 1510 carry-on roller case just for that purpose. Hard case, well padded with dividers, weather proof and will fit in the overhead compartment of airplanes.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote