Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:26 AM   #1

Default Best camera under $1000

I've been searching for years in an attempt to buy the best camera to fit my needs. I've decided to take the plunge. I really like the Olympus E-10, but I've based that conclusion mostly on the way it feels. My thought is that the E-10 would be a better value that the E-20. I'd consider the E-20 if the additional cost would merit.

I'm looking for opinions on all cameras. I work as a webmaster and also use Photoshop and other Adobe software for digital editing.

Things of importance:
1. At least 35mm (wide angle) and would like as much telephoto as I can get without sacrificing image quality and sharpness.
2. I like sturdy cameras. That's why the E-10 appeals to me.
3. Manual focus
4. Ability to capture TIFF (for print)
5. 3 MB or higher. May use for some print, but mostly web.

I'm thinking that purchasing just off the cutting edge will provide the best value. (Please share your opinions on this) Example: Olympus E-10 instead of the E-20.

I've mentioned Olypus but I am not stuck on it. It is the only camera in that range that I know of. I am open and looking for an input.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long message.

I appreciate your help.
Danny Ayo
DanAyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:44 AM   #2
NHL

There's always the D7i or D7hi...

The E10/E20N built quality are superb as well as their optical viewfinder are 2nd to none; however like all optical cameras, you'll be penalized by their weight, plus this camera is not known for speed. The D7hi in its 3rd generation, is now greatly enhanced and can keep up with the new EOS-1Ds in term of raw image capture @ full speed (5 raw frames @ 3fps), and not just Tiff.

What separate the D7's apart are that they are extremely light, and the EVF is fully loaded with features that no other camera has yet caught up:

1. In auto mode the EVF will turn to B/W and become a night vision systems very much like in the gulf war TV shots, and allow one to shoot in total darkness (try that with the E20N)

2. In manual mode it becomes a 'What You See Is What You Get' (WYSIWYG) camera. One previews a picture before it was shot, ie as you vary the shutter and aperture the EVF screen brighten/darken accordingly, just like when the shutter is finally released. I use this mode a lot and never need a handheld exposure meter... (try that with an optical viewfinder camera)

3. A first: the real-time histogram! With this feature you can tell the scene lightning as the picture is taken well before your photoshop session... It tells you, if you need fill in flash for example. With all other cameras (except the F717 copy) you have to take the shot first then review the picture to get the histogram! and then of course you get the grid and scale on the EVF as a bonus for architectural shots...

There's also plenty of friendly support on the Minolta forum so join the club!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:21 AM   #3

Thanks NHL.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The price difference
7-I $750
7-HI $1000

Is the 7-HI worth the extra $250?

I'm planning to investigate your suggestions.

Danny
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:38 AM   #4

I would look at the Olympus C5050. A new 5mp camera that will sell for less than $800. I am waiting for Steve's review. Camera is not scheduled for release until mid Nov.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:12 AM   #5
NHL

It depends on how you value the high speed 5 raw pictures @ 3fps, the extra sync connector, the per picture sRGB/AdobeRGB colorspace, and of course the black color...

The Oly C5050 is more in line with the CP5000 than the D7i(hi)/CP5700/F717 cameras with semi TTL viewfinder, where's the D7's EVF excel at, but then it costs slightly less... (for less feature)
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:35 PM   #6

Have you considered Canon G2/G3. The G2 is a fine camera just off the cutting edge and ihas a good price. The G3 has the advantage of a 4x optical zoom for extra telephoto.
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:03 PM   #7

Any opinionson the OLY E-10/20?

I liked the Dimage7 until I felt its light weight. It didn't feel like what I thought a camera in that price range would be. The construction of the E-10 made it very appealing to me.

BUT, if the Dimage or other cameras are better, I'll sacrifice the feel.

The 28 - 200 zoom on the Dimage was something I really liked.

Danny Ayo
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:24 PM   #8

i'm used to some major metal when i shoot. the 7Hi is a beautiful lightweight yet handy and comfortable camera to use. i felt the same way about the E series from Oly in the beginning. but as you added the grip and the additional lenses it became fairly unweildy and uncomfortable to use in addition to expensive.

i was looking for a D camera that would perform similar to my film cameras but lighter, more simplified, and compact.

the 7 series is lighter. thank you.
simplified no. it allows for a great deal of creative latitude. can't get away from the tech stuff.
compact. almost- definitely smaller than my F5 with the equivelent lens.

it doesn't replace my film equipment. it augments it.

it is definitely more bang for the buck then most of the current models
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:00 PM   #9
NHL

This is High Technology @ its best people! Are we still carrying 5 lb laptops and WWII style cellphones? Magnesium alloy metal of the D7's is the way to go folks... Everyone will appreciate this when they go on vacation or hike in the woods or up the mountains...

Remember the 4 wheels bulks that Detroit used to build?
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:07 PM   #10

what do you mean used to ? they still put out some fat stuff. the H2?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote