Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:01 PM   #1

Hello,

Please help I'm shooting with a D70 and my pictures seam to have this blue tint to them. The one I have attached has not been retouched at all. Straight from the camera. I'm using two AB800 strobes but the wood floor just looks bluish to me. Any idea what is causing this? Is my white balance not were it should be? I want the wood to look like a real wood floor like it does in real life. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chad
Attached Images

cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:05 PM   #2

Putting some red in helps.

Does this look more like the actual wood colour?
Attached Images

Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:29 PM   #3

Thank you that does help. Is there something I can do with the camera so I don't have to PS each picture?

Thank you,

Chad
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:33 PM   #4

Your white balance is not set correctly. If WB is set for incandescent or tungsten light and you are shooting outside, you will get a blue tint. For best results outside, I have read that setting WB for cloudy conditions works best even in bright sunlight. The cloudy setting warms the image slightly, similar to a warming filter.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:47 PM   #5

Thank you for the reply. I'm shooting in doors in my home studio. The wood floor is actualy just a piece of kitchen flooring from Home Depot

Thanks,

Chad
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:13 PM   #6
Administrator

Chad:

According to the EXIF, the white balance was set to Auto. Also, the EXIF did not report the flash as firing (probably since it was external strobes only).

I don't own your model. But, if I had to speculate, I'd guess that the camera tried to set white balance for theambient lighting only, since the internal flash wasn't used. So, when thestrobes fired, you got a blue tint.

I'd try to set it manually for Flash (or if you still have anytint, try Sunny).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:46 AM   #7

sounds reasonable that your flash threw your white off a notch or 2. still looks like a correctable problem in photshop. as well as preventable in camera WB adjustment.id just experiment a little with your camera/flash settings to find the color balance your looking for. thats the sweet part about digital, you have instant results that can be saved or deleted and redone with a change of settings for better results.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:56 AM   #8
Tik

Leave the white balance set to 'auto', press the WB button on the left and use the front command dial to set -1 or -2 to 'warm up'the pics.

Tik is offline   Reply With Quote