Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

I'm thinking of buying an add-on telephoto lens for my A75, perhaps a 2X or even an 8X lens; http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...tif-00190.html
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ckc-cvs8.html

Does anyone have any experience with these or others? Thanks.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2

My guess would be that the 2x would produce reasonable results, but the 8x might not. I would stay away from Raynox (I think that is the name) as their quality is fairly poor.

You might go to the web site of the manufacturer and see if they show some examples of how well they work. Do realize that these will be biased towards good results, but its better than no data point at all.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:09 PM   #3

I have no idea how helpful this is but here are some sample pics and sample adapters for the A85/A95:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm

This is not the A75 but it should give some rough idea (since the A85/A95 are similar to A75 in some aspects)...

Here is the telephoto samples:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80teleconverters.html

Lensmate is supposedly a very good place to pick up adapters and stuff for the Canons. Not sure if they have anything for A75 but check it out (no, I don't work for them )...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:58 PM   #4

I used them on my old Kodak P&S and the Nikon 5700.

It's kinda like kissing your sister.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:10 PM   #5

When I was searching for lens information, I found numerous recommendations to consider Raynox.

The DCR-6600 has the lowest barrel distortion of any wide angle converter, but it sacrifices some sharpness in a ring around the center in order to be able to do this. It depends on what compromises you want, maximum sharpness or low barrel distortion.

Detailed comparison images of a number of telephoto converters are available on:
http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/telec...er_comparisons
Examining these images, the Raynox DCR-2020 would appear to be the sharpest and have the least chromatic aberration of any of the lenses tested, which coresponds to what I have read elsewhere on the net. However a different comparison I saw somewhere showed that the Raynox DCR-1850 performed poorly in comparison to the Olympus TCON-17.

Of the Raynox lenses, the DCR-xxx were designed for digital cameras. Other Raynox lenses, and most of the cheap ones offered for sale on eBay with designations such as "high definition" "Titanium" etc were originally designed for video cameras. They work quite well there where the video resolution is perhaps 700 horizontal pixels, but will dissappoint when used on megapixel digital cameras.

Whatever lens you are considering, do a thorough search for it here, at dpreview, and on google and examine what people are saying about it.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:23 PM   #6

Another thing you must consider is whether the conversion lens is compatable with your camera lens. A converter that does well on another camera may not do well at all on yours.

For example, telephoto converters will require the camera lens to support a certain minimum focal length in order to avoid vignetting. The Raynox DCR-2020 I mentioned before is designed for a camera lens with a large zoom ratio, and so MAY cause vignetting on your A75, which I just now saw has a 3x zoom. However, the comparison page I referenced above shows it works very well with a 12x zoom FZ-10.

Steve reviews the CrystalView 8x lens you referenced here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/sharpshooter.html
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know which lens I would use more, the telephoto or wide-angle. I have a feeling that I would use the wide-angle more, although the telephoto lens would be really nice for sports shots. But in the end would it make sense to buy these add-on rather than save and buy a dSLR. Well, Xmas is coming :-)

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:45 PM   #8

Spark...

I see you suffer from the inevitable "I gotta have more" syndrome :lol: In your place, I'd consider holding what you have (the A75) and learning to use everything it can do for you. I suspect it has capabilities you haven't even scratched yet. Instead of spending your money on an add on lens, consider saving for a bigger and better new camera when you can afford it and have outgrown your A75. I have a Canon EOS 20D which I love... just bought an A75 for my wife. It's not always handy to carry the 20D around but the A75 is always in my wife's purse.

There's a big difference between "taking snapshots" and photography. The A75 is a great little snapshot camera that has a lot of features of higher level cameras. It's a great trainer camera. By the time you fully learn it, their will be bigger and better "photography" cameras at lower prices available.

I must warn, however, that DSLRs are a great way to spend a lot of money. There's always a better lens out there, and most of them cost several times more than your A75.

Buying add-on lenses for an A75 is like spending $1500 on fancy wheels for a Toyota Echo.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:51 PM   #9

Like I said -

Its like kissing your sister - not very satisfying !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote