Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What is the proper etiquette when taking candid photos of strangers?
Always ask permission first, unless circumstances absolutly forbid 0 0%
It's good, but not essential, to ask permission 2 13.33%
It depends upon the situation 9 60.00%
Permission is unnecessary except in unusual circumstances 1 6.67%
Permission is unnecessary unless not asking permission would violate the law (privacy, commercial appropriation of likeness, etc) 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:47 AM   #11

From time to time to time in my travels, like on this tour bus,a quick glance says yes, I shoot first and ask questions later. Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:36 AM   #12

Avery delicate subject, indeed.

Perhaps one could take the photo(s), and then approach the subject to tell him/her that you've just taken a photo, and disclose what you plan on using the photo for (personal, commercial, etc.). Offer to show them the photo on the spot (obviously, this applies to digital cameras only), and offer to delete the photo right there in their presenceif they so request.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:21 AM   #13

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
From time to time to time in my travels, like on this tour bus,a quick glance says yes, I shoot first and ask questions later. Best regards,

KennethD
LoL, Kenneth, if those eyes said yes to me I'd be snapping pretty dang fast, too!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:20 AM   #14

I've taken many candid shots in public settings (ususally before UT football games). I've had many people notice that I've photographed them, some of the smile & occasionally they approach me and ask about it. I'll hand them my card & tell them I'll be glad to email them a copy, if they email me first. I even show them the image on the LCD and I've never had one person object.