Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:19 AM   #1

My digital camera (olympus D-540 zoom) can do movie mode. Since im quite new to the digital photogoraphy, can you tell me if its possible to do a 30 minute movie by short movie clips?
Peterma9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:07 AM   #2

Should be. You would need a program to stitch clips together, but that shouldn't be too hard to find. I think one of my cheap digicams came with ArcSoft Video Impression, which can do that.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3

Hey Tom - Seems like more and more Michigan shooters this year.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:07 AM   #4

Yep--not sure why, but that does seem to be the case. Fall here is pretty photogenic, of course, and so are the lakes and rivers. I've been shooting since around 1983 (Canon AE-1) but didn't go fully digital until early this year, so I'm a late-comer to this forum and a couple of others.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:09 AM   #5

Peterma9-

The "movie" feature on most of the consumer cameras is pretty much just a marketing ploy. The resolution is quite poor to begin with. Your only able to play back on your computer, at a very reduced resolution.

Video in this country is based on the NTSC standard. Playback is at 30 frames per second. Your camera will probably record at 12 fps. Obviously the lower resolution and the playback speed isn't going to give you anything other than the most rudimentary video experience.

I believe the makers originally wanted to create the impression that digital still cameras could give you similar features as the more popular Videocams of that point in time. It is similar to the audio notation feature found on low end P&S cameras. Admittedly the audio feature has some limited merit, but it still harkens back to the videocam mentality.

It's kinda like hauling dirt in your car trunk. You can do it, but, a dump truck works better.

But what the heck - it's a feature so give it a try - just don't expect too much.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:49 AM   #6

I have a Nikon Coolpix 2200, a 2 MP digital with a video mode allowing 640x480x15 fps (via interlacing). (The big brother 3200 is 3.2 MP and records sound) If I just wave it around handheld I get predictably choppy video. But if I use a tripod and set up some good lighting, its not so bad. It save Quicktime format (*.mov) and transfers via USB to a computer.

I use Adobe Premiere which allows me to edit any number of clips into a movie, which I can then burn to a CD-ROM (not DVD) which will play on my DVD player. There are a number of low cost video editing programs from Ulead, Roxio and others, even a free one from Microsoft, Movie Maker 2 for WinXP.

In my case the format is DivX compressed *.avi, which my DVD player is capable of playing (www.divx.com). But other formats also work on CD's, e.g. mpeg, VCD, etc.

Its not videocam quality, but when I show the videos to knowledgeable friends, they says its better than they thought it would be. For a $150 camera, I'm happy.

Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7

Minolta DiMAGE Z1 will do 640x480 at 30 fps with sound; the Z2 will do 800x600. I hardly ever use video mode, but I did get a clip of the B2 Spirit stealth bomber flying over Grosse Ile Airport (former navy base) last year. Converted it to .avi format, then ran it through Kinoma Producer and saved it to my Palm Tungsten E's SD card. Not exactly a "movie," but fun to show off anyway.