Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:41 PM   #1

I'm trying to determine what SLR cameras (makes and models, both conventional and digital) utilize the kind of active LED and/or LCD indicators in the image area of the viewfinder that Canon EOS models have (LED).

These indicia are selectable by the user through changes in the camera's settings and are superimposed on the actual image of the subject (as opposed to the usual indicators arrayed *outside* the image area.

If you know of any such cameras, I would much appreciate your input. Thanx.
SidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

The only way you could have it is with an EVF, and then some would question if this was actually an SLR.

What canon does is reflect the active AF point into the viewfinder. All the other information is outside the viewing area.

But I am not experienced with high end film cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3

Indicia? You mean the focus points that light up when the shutter buton is pressed halfway? Most all slr and dslr cameras have that, some, like the D70/D100 have grid lines that light up to assist in archtectural composition.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:11 AM   #4

Yeah, you got it. What makes/models do you know use these indicators in the field of view (image area)?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:12 AM   #5

I'm interested in both the types you two guys mentioned in your posts - camera make/model. Thanx.

EDIT: I am not interested in EVF (electronic viewfinder) type cameras --- only conventional SLRs and digital SLRs, where the actual subject image is seen in the viewfinder along with electronically-generated indicators in the subject area such as Canon's red dots and, in some, grid lines (as mentioned above). Among the cameras I'm *not* interested in is the Olympus 8080 which does not have a true optical viewfinder. It uses an EVF which is, essentially, a tiny - but magnified (by the eyepiece) - version of the rear LED display on most cameras. Nor the Nikon Coolpix type systems.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 7:41 AM   #6

I think most, if not all SLR/DSLR's have that feature standard in the viewfinder. Some older Nikon's had the focus points just turn dark (as with F5 - okay), and newer models where the indicators turn a bright red (as in F100 and D70/D100/D2h - better).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:37 AM   #7

Thanx, Marokero, that's very helpful.

Anyone know of any others?????
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:19 AM   #8

As far as I know, every Canon Digital SLR lights the AF point in red (DRebel, 10D, 20D, 1Ds, 1D, 1D Mk2, 1Ds Mk2.)

As for a full EVF... I don't know of any DSLR that has it (although there easily could be a interchangable lens camera that does.) I believe Minolta made several cameras with EVFs, so you might want to check out their newer offerings.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:05 AM   #9

Thanx, Eric, very helpful.