Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:41 AM   #1

I cannot find the message i posted. Does that mean it was not accepted or did I do something wrong?

On the first page it shows my Logged in name and then it says-no new messages. But shouldn't I be able to see my posted question? Thanks. This is really a test to follow my message again but would like to know the answer.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:24 AM   #2
Administrator

The "No New Messages" simply means that you have no Private Messages that you haven't viewed yet.

If you mean a post to one of the forums, you can see any user's posts by looking at their profile (you'll see a menu choice for posts when you click on a forum members name and view their profile). Your posts are here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...57&posts=1

Your post in this thread is the only post I see in the system now. So, if you did make a previous post, it may have been removed. If the post was in violation of our forum rules (for example, a commercial postwitha link advertising a site; orawanted or for sale typepost), then it would have been removed if brought to the attention of one of the moderators.

It's also possible that we had a forum problem when you made your post. The forum hardware was recently upgraded, and the administrators have been working tofix some problems.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

Thanks JimC. As you can see (no pun)I have found my posting okay-at least this time. Maybe my prior post was messed up as you suggested.

Perhaps you or others might see this now so I'll quickly ask if there is a limit to how high of a zoom can camera manufacturers make. Will they be able to increase from the high 10x or 12x to higher limits like 15x and 20x? What imposes any limit to present size zoom? Thanks again.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:44 AM   #4
Administrator

Size, weight and cost are the limiting factors. Of course, the ability to hold a camera steady at longer focal lengths without a tripod also comes into play.

With a non-DSLR Model, the size, weight and cost factors can be kept down some, because the sensors are very tiny. As a result, the lenses can be much smaller, too. For example, the lens on a model like the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 has an actual focal length of only 6.0-72mm (to give it a 35mm equivalent focal range of 36-432mm).

A lens with this focal range in a 35mm camera would be very large and heavy (especially one that's bright enough to maintain a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout it's focal range).

If more optical zoom is needed, you can also get teleconverter lenses for some models. But, these have their drawbacks, too, depending on how much magnification you need (vignetting, loss of light, etc.).
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:39 PM   #5

Would you care to make a guess as to how high of a zoom factor any camera maker would go?

Thanks much for you replies and help. It's going good for this newbie.

FYI-when I registered and then awaited for my email to confirm I never got an email from your web site! I tried registreing several times and then contacted someone who said that maybe my ISP has blocked certain sites because of Spam. I had unblocked my setting for spam so the emails would go through okay but never got any email from you.
Then suddenly (so it seemed) I received seven (7) emails from Steve's Digicams a few days ago and that's when I was able to
complete my registration by confirming with the live link.

I tell you this in case you might want to check on your end for any others that might have the same trouble if your system might have a problem. It would be useless for me to contact my ISP anymore about it and besides it's working now and that's all I really care about. Just thought I would pass it on to you.

Thanks again. P.S. don't forget my further question at the beginning!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Administrator

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Would you care to make a guess as to how high of a zoom factor any camera maker would go?
The main reason you're now seeing more optical zoom in some of the newer "Ultra Zoom" models is because manufacturers are making smaller sensors (requiring shorter actual focal length lenses for their 35mm equivalent focal range).

No, I personally wouldn't care to speculate. ;-) Keep in mind that there needs to be a market forcameras produced. So, if the focal range is such that image quality suffers (as it would trying to have too much range from wide angle to tele in a single lens), then they're not going to sell a lot of them.

If you have a need for more optical zoom in a non-DSLR model, I'dask about teleconverters for specific models in a given manufacturer's forum (Panasonic, Olympus, etc.), or ask about them in the Add-On Lenses Forum

If you search through these forums, you'll probably find many threads with recommendations for teleconverters that can give you an idea of pros and cons of different models, optical quality, etc.

We also have a forum dedicated to Digiscoping if you need even more magnification. ;-)

Quote:
FYI-when I registered and then awaited for my email to confirm I never got an email from your web site! I tried registreing several times and then contacted someone who said that maybe my ISP has blocked certain sites because of Spam. I had unblocked my setting for spam so the emails would go through okay but never got any email from you.
Then suddenly (so it seemed) I received seven (7) emails from Steve's Digicams a few days ago and that's when I was able to
complete my registration by confirming with the live link.
As I mentioned earlier, we recently upgraded the hardware for the forums (last weekend), so this may have been part of the problem (and solution). The administrators have been working hard to resolve any remaining issues.