Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2002, 4:54 AM   #1

Default Digital Still Camera with video function

Please let me know if there are digital still cameras which can also function as a full-fledged video camera (not just videoclips) at least for a few minutes. Will be grateful for this information.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2002, 8:30 AM   #2

Why not buy a Digital videocamera with digicamfunction ? It sounds important to you!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:01 AM   #3

I do not believe there are any digital cameras that do more than video clips. The quality of the video clips are ok but no where the quality of a digital camcorder. I agree with Klaus DK, look for a digital video camera that will produce the digital still your are wanting or buy one of each.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:28 AM   #4

Most cams are producing VERY BIG avi files, consuming mega storage by the pica second! Converting to smaller MPEG files takes mega minutes, even with fast pc's - and results on full screen are not brill.

For video to TV, videocams are more suitable.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:27 AM   #5

If you are going to get a digital camcorder don't expect it to take great snapshots, it will most likly be under 1mp.
I would get a digital camcorder AND a digital camera unless you don't care about the resolution of the snapshots.
I know, I checked out a lot of digital camcorders under $1000 and non do good as a digital camera.
I settled for video clips and for now stayed with my Sony analog 8mm camcorder.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:38 AM   #6

The closest thing to what you're asking for is the Fuji S602, which will take VGA quality video at 30 fps for as long as your memory will hold. Since it takes CF Type II, you can currently get up to 1 gig memory. But it's a very inefficient way to capture video in terms of file size, and really no substitute for a dedicated video cam. Fun for a still camera though!
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 1:19 PM   #7

unfortunately, you must choose between a digicam and videocam as there is no good middle ground yet. A lot of companies out there promise good dual results, but they really are not. I have used sonys and olympus cameras for video(preffering the sony by far) but the bigggest digicam disadvantage no one mentions when bying for dual use, is the lack of continuous light; they are really bad in low light (a lot of artifacting).
So you do have to choose between the two uses.
Also, even though manufacturers claim that you can shoot video clips as large as your card storage, be aware that on all the ones i have tested, you can only shoot as much as the buffer in the camera. Then you have to stop, save and continue with the next clip.

hope it helps...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 2:08 PM   #8

Sanpete...when I posted I wrote from experience of using my 602. I work on high TV quality, and at the mo. I hate the horizontal motion judder and aliasing coming from the 602's AVI file playback , full screen, on even gentle attempts at pan.

It spoils the generally good all round performance of the cam. So yes, a gimmick but not really a serious option.

I'm looking into it, but I've yet to find a decent AVI stream that can look as good as say a DVcam out to a monitor. Does anybody else, perhaps with 2.5Ghz pcs, get decent results with cam AVI files?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 4:35 PM   #9

Default Some reasons for this....

Quote:
Sanpete...when I posted I wrote from experience of using my 602. I work on high TV quality, and at the mo. I hate the horizontal motion judder and aliasing coming from the 602's AVI file playback , full screen, on even gentle attempts at pan.
Actually, the S602Z "can" produce incredibly clean and clear jitter free movies, but you absolutely MUST use a tripod to support the camera. Unlike the C2100UZ or E-100RS Olympus cameras which also produce very good quality but quite time-limited video, the S602Z doesn't have an image stabilizer. Without an image stabilization feature, when you are shooting at 30 frames per second with 640x480 resolution you are actually shooting at considerably higher resolution than the better video cameras even though it's being displayed at a smaller screen size, but on a much higher resolution monitor.

This means that you are hand-holding a relatively slow shutter speed and any movement will be greatly magnified. Had the S602Z an image stabilization lens like the Olympus C2100UZ, the videos would be superb. Without it, trying to get good videos at this resolution is useless without a rock-solid support.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 5:09 PM   #10

If you want a camcorder certainly better than a digi Sharp is turning over its models and giving a $100 rebate. Look at www.pricegrabber .com for a sharp camcorder. Refurbished start at $299, which is $199 after rebate! This would leave you to get a digi with the features you want
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote