Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2002, 3:57 PM   #1

Default Olympus E10 crashing Dell P3 500hz with Win 2000

Everytime I connect USB port to computer and camera I crash computer. Any ideas? The computer seems to recognize E10 and then crashes!

Help pls
edsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2002, 5:00 PM   #2

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your camera and 2000 operating system? Have you completed the updates for Windows 2000? Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 is available for download.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 10:51 AM   #3

Default Re: Olympus E10 crashing Dell P3 500hz with Win 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsherman
Everytime I connect USB port to computer and camera I crash computer. Any ideas? The computer seems to recognize E10 and then crashes!

Help pls
My 4040 does that as well...works fine the first time, but if I disconnect it, shoot some more pics, and reconnect, BAM!...BSOD...(and yes, I am disconnecting it properly). I spent alot of time trying to fix the problem and didn't get very far.

The problem most likely has to do with the camera not initializing or severing the USB connection properly. It is documented on the Windows site (I also found it on a few other non-MS sites)...and there is supposedly a fix for it.

However, the fix has not been released in any of the Service Patches and is only available by calling MS customer service. The catch...if you call and it turns out the the fix doesn't apply to you, you get charged for the call.

My solution was to by a standalone smartmedia reader.
luminary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 8:02 AM   #4

My guess is that you're dealing with an old BIOS problem more than anything else. Check your computer vendors website for BIOS updates and follow the instructions *very* carefully. You'll want to back up the system before you update the BIOS. Just in case.

Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote